Dream Controller Options, Voltage, & Wiring for 2811 Strips??

Clay-Doh

New elf
First, wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I'm Clay from Florida in the US. Found this forum searching the net for info on the confusing world of led strips, and this forum had a load of info, more info here than any other single sourse for led light strips and such. Also have to say, after seeing some of your guys displays, you guys are insane. Showed my girlfriend a few...think she got a little weak-kneed and exited, ha ha. Hope she don't get any crazy ideas have me out there building a landing strip that can be seen from space. :D

I've read the entire "bible", and have been through every sub-forum on here, and learned a lot of answers to the loads of questions I had.

Here is what I am looking to do.

I want to outline windows with 5050 strips. After research, it seems the fully addressable leds with the 2811 chips are the brightest, most eye catching effects for the money. I'm wanting to order from Ray Wu, since I see many have had great experience with him on here.

I have 4 windows, (2 right next to each other on one wall, and the other 2 right next to each other on another wall) and was going to run 2 windows to one power supply and one controller, parallel, so both windows effects are in sync, then repeat the set-up for the other 2 windows. So it seems 5 watt is definitely the way to go since I'm not running long stretches.

I was going to purchase these light strips,

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/5m-WS2811-LED-digital-strip-64leds-m-with-64pcs-WS2811-built-in-the-5050-smd-rgb/701799_700438964.html

And this power supply
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/350W-Dual-Output-Switching-Power-Supply-88-264VAC-input-5V-350W-output-CE-and-ROHS-approved/701799_289599937.html

Now, here is where the confusion for me comes. I see everyone is using dmx, software, etc. All I want is come neat effects that I found commonly referred to as "Dream Color" "Magic Effect" "Chasing", etc.

Here are some video links of the effects I would like to have.
DIGITAL LED STRIP

LED Light Strip Demo - Dream Color - 5050 - RGB - 150LED - 6803 Chip - 94 Programs

I don't need them to be in sync with any music or anything, just want some cool effects like those.

If I was willing to pay 3x the price, I could order off ebay and get what I assume, would be the proper controller.

SO, here's the question(s):
What controller do I need? I was looking at this one from Ray, made for the 2811 strips, and with 114 programs, (Even though the descriptions for all the light strips say "Over 80 effects." Will they even do 114 effects?), but...... it's 12 volt. And I searched his entire site, can't find it in a 5 volt.
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/TH2010-series-LED-pixel-remote-controller-support-WS2811-LED-pixel-lights-Max-5A-output/701799_573403895.html

Am I worrying about nothing? Does the controller voltage not matter in regards to the light strip, and is the controller voltage strictly in regards to what input the controller needs? Will it work, and I just need to wire it properly to my 5 volt strips??? I saw this wiring diagram (1st one at bottom of the page) from gree-leds, which had me scratching my head.
http://www.gree-leds.com/productshow.asp?ArticleID=5V4010194S

Here is what looks very similar from Ray, and in 5 volt. However, it's only 83 programs as compared to the 114 of the original 12 volt one I linked from Ray. (Also concerned the picture shows it having a clock and data line out (which 2811 is 3 pin), and the wiring diagram is showing 2801 strips. Cut and paste ad error?) However, the wiring diagram is completely different from gree-leds wire diagram.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/DC5V-RF-WS2811-LED-controller-used-for-DC5V-ws2811-led-strip-ws2811-pixel-module-etc/701799_715455175.html

And then, to make it a little more confusing for 12v controllers with 5v leds, there's this wiring diagram you guys have. Example 3 pertaining to 12v controller with 5v strip.
http://auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/Controller_Setups_and_Settings

To simplify the one above (mainly for my own benefit) I drew this, which i think is the same concept?
[attachimg=1]

Now, I really don't like the idea though of having to use 2 ac wall plugs, and power supplies, one 12v for the controller, and one 5v for the lights. Would love a 5volt controller, so that all could be run off one 5v power supply plugged into one AC wall outlet, and it would simplify the wiring coming out. (For each set up. I am doing this set-up times 2, since I have 2 sets of windows on different sides of room.)

Maybe 83 programs is plenty, and if the picture and wiring diagram on Rays is just an error, and it works with 2811 chips, then I'm over thinking? (The controller in the 2nd video I posted has 94 modes). I just hate to settle for less due to voltage.

Next big question:

The ones that take SD cards, is there simple code that can produce those "Dream Color" chasing effects that can be downloaded, then I can just get an SD reader? I like that idea, if I was able to pick and choose the effects (out of the 133) that I like and only put the ones I like in and have them cycle through the different ones. But I don't want to make this a big complicated ordeal, or pay for a bunch of software when I can get the controller with the effects already in for $20. I've read DMX, Teensy, Adrino, all sorts of things being used. Sounds more complex then for what I want I'm guessing.

OK, I'm finished. Sorry for so long a post, but I see you guys are very precise about this, an know what your talking about, and that broad or vague questions can only get a broad or vague answer. So I tried to explain exactly what I needed, and what I already learned. (I've spent days on researching this, and feel like I am just barely figureing out entry level how to even plug a simple window outline in! haha.)

Thanx guys, I want to order these as soon as possible, just want to make sure I got it right!

Attachments

• Led 12v 5 v wire diagram.jpg
    Led 12v 5 v wire diagram.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 159

Clay-Doh

New elf
OK, doing a little more research, found this, a little more info regarding why 2811 need 5v if you want each led individually addressable.
http://wiki.hacdc.org/index.php/WS2811_Digital_RGB_LED

And one of the links in there where to what looks like exactly what I need, looks exactly the same as Rays 114 mode one I wanted but that only comes in 12 volt. This is 5 volt, and even has 133 modes.
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/DC5V-WS2811-Pixel-RGB-LED-Strip-Remote-Controller-built-in-133kinds-light-effect-Max-load-1024/505193_738060037.html

Only problem is, I really wanted to order from one source and I wanted to order from Ray, since for the most part all I hear is good stuff, and his feedback is even higher.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
First of all welcome to ACL, glad you have learnt a lot from these forums

Just curious why you are using the 64 LED/M strip. This will be 960 channels per 5 metre strip. Most of us use the 12vdc 2811 strip or the 5vdc 30 individually controlled strip as this 64 led/m strip will be an overkill for most applications and is best used for high resolution matrices.

But if your keen on that strip then that controller has enough channel capability to run one strip. I would give Ray the details and im sure he will be able to source it for you. He normally can get a lot more goodies then whats listed in his shop.

The diagram you showed in your first post will work, i would just also have a direct ground cable between the power supply and the strip as well.

Send Ray the order and he will then send it back with combined shipping and to pay through paypal

anyway good luck with it all

Clay-Doh

New elf
Thanx..... ummm.....FastEddy. Had to turn my computer upside down to read your name! Appreciate the welcome. And yes, about 80% of what I've learned was off this forum.

The reason I was going with 64 per m was for maximum brightness and visibility in the daytime. These are going in my store windows. I want to catch peoples attention. I know night-time might be overkill, but I want max vis and light density for the day, (when I'm open) since I have 6 competitors within a mile of me, and being seen is the key. I saw someone makes 96 per meter...but the price difference was too much.

So Ok, I think I got what you mean. These should be my final questions then.

1.Your saying 12 volt or 5 volt on the controller itself doesn't really matter, go with Rays 12 volt (assuming he doesn't have a 5 volt available) Should I even bother wasting time trying to contact him to find one?

2. And if 12v is just fine, when you say the diagram I posted in first post will work, do you mean the one I drew myself? I based that on the Example 3 in the link
http://auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/Controller_Setups_and_Settings
At least I think so.

3.When you say "have a direct ground cable between the power supply and the strip", do you mean as they showed in gree-leds first drawing?
http://www.gree-leds.com/productshow.asp?ArticleID=5V4010194S

So redoing my drawing in this picture, do I need to just add a wire where the dotted line is, or do I also need to remove the line that I have X's through, in order to make it more similar to Gree-leds drawing?
[attachimg=1]

I'm guessing now that I think of it, remove that one with the x?

4. And final question, if one of these ways is the right way to wire, what's one of the cheapest options for the 12volt power source to the controller? I'm guessing it takes very little juice. I've seen people talk about "wall-warts", computer power, etc. Just look through old ones I have that has 12v dc output?, and according to the description, less than 60 mA (how much less than 60 mA can I go?)

Sorry for all the questions, lot of variables. I appreciate the help!

Attachments

• Updated LED wiring voltage.jpg
    Updated LED wiring voltage.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 126

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
The names upside down because im down under :D
For a shop front that will work well bevause the audience can be very close as well as you need impact, so should be a good choice for your needs.
That should work for you and if its an issue then just add the other ground to the controller (the ones with Xs) But i still would ask Ray as im sure he could get the 5v version for you, at least its worth a try. But yes the first diagram in that link is what i mean.

Now as far as a power supply goes there is nothing wrong with using a higher rated output as long as the volts are 12vdc. The power supply will only provide enough current for the device to run, so a power supply rated at 1 amps will still work on something that only needs 60mA as the 60mA means thats the amount of load it will require to run and absorb when running and the power supply will only provide whats needed. The max rating is the limit as to what amount of load can be connected to that power supply. So any 12vdc power supply should do, just make sure you get the +V and the ground the right way or else you may release the magic smoke.