Driveway Arch

kevr

Full time elf
Generous elf
This has been a long time in the making but we are finally making progress on an arch for the drive, this is a 16 string 4m long 50 pixel per string arch.

I wanted a self supporting arch to put in front of my sleigh and reindeer so I have made this with 100mm heavy wall box section. The stings will be 8mm coreflute cut and secured to the 20mm conduit, I have 3D printed spacer clips to hopefully keep everything in place.

If anyone is interested let me know I I will post progress photos.

Cheers Kev

IMG_20210816_163658.jpg

Stkilda123

Apprentice elf
I've put drivway arches in last few years using conduit, and each time the summer sun makes it so bending by the end of the xmas season that they hardly stand and i have to tie them off with rope. This year i'm putting in 2 large metal poles (the ones you see as tennis court fencing) and just putting some steel rope between them and conecting the lights to them.
It will be a straight arch (if that's possible) but at least it will stay up.
I'd be interested to see how your one goes.

kevr

Full time elf
Generous elf
I have made a little progress this weekend, we have been waiting for the hardware stores to open so I could get some paint to finish the frames.

The base is 75mm RHS, 16 strings, 50 pxls approx 80mm spacing, 3.5m wide x 3m high

Next step is to cut the corro on the CNC and get the pixels in them.

Attachments

• IMG20210912144451.jpg
    IMG20210912144451.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG20210912144516.jpg
    IMG20210912144516.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 64
  • Arch Strips.PNG
    Arch Strips.PNG
    19.6 KB · Views: 64

gingrbredman

New elf
Wow, that is amazing! Love the attention to detail!

Quick question, how are you going to store the fences? Do they come apart?

kevr

Full time elf
Generous elf
Wow, that is amazing! Love the attention to detail!

Quick question, how are you going to store the fences? Do they come apart?
The feet unbolt of the main frame so it's a bit easier to store, the big question is now where am I going to store everything else?

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Looks great! Did you make the fence sections from scratch or just modified the tops for the angle and made bigger base feet?

kevr

Full time elf
Generous elf
Looks great! Did you make the fence sections from scratch or just modified the tops for the angle and made bigger base feet?
Made it all from scratch. I was luck enough to get the box section for free a long time ago and it was just laying around waiting to be made into something.