Driving an AVD48 with a ECG-D4

grungle25

Apprentice elf
Hi All

I received all my goodies from Ray Wu and have started the process of testing things. I hadn't used any controllers either so it's all new and exciting.

The first thing I tested was the pixel strings. I just placed the ECG-P12R in "Test Pattern" config and all the lights came on and looked pretty.

Now I am trying to test my dumb RGB strings using an ECG-D4 connected to an AVD48. I setup the D4 with no issues, enabled Port 1 as DMX and tried using LSP to test the lights. There was DMX data getting to the AVD48 but no lights. So I thought I would take a step back and take LSP out of the equation. I fired up David's da_e131 and once again the AVD48 was receiving DMX data but no lights :(

So now I would like to know if there are any other ways to test the strings? I am sure I have just stuffed something simple up..

Thanks

Glenn

j1sys

There are no rules, and those are the rules.
Community project designer
two very important pieces of information:

1) are the ECG-D4 statistics 'reporting' DMX traffic. it should tell you packets received, and packets processed out each port. i will also tell you packets it received that had no place to send.

2) is the LED over your output port 'blinking'. it shows packet transmit time. no lights = no data. solid light is packet overrun = problem, just right is a blinking light at about your update rate (25ms?)

-Ed

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Hi Glenn,
Is the DMX LED on the DC48 flashing rapidly when connected to the ECG-D4 ? If so, this means it is receiving a DMX stream.

If so, maybe the issue is more fundamental. Can you take a picture of the power and string connections on the DC48 ?

grungle25

Apprentice elf
Thanks so much for all the replies! The speed and quality of advice that members of this forum give out is just amazing.

I was setting up my stuff to take some photos when my problem became very obvious. As I was only testing one string I only powered up one side of the AVD48. As luck would have it I only tested channels on the side that wasn't powered. Once rectified da_e131 quickly had my lights a blinkin...and then LSP worked too....hurrah!!

Thanks again for all the help!

Glenn