dumb question about dumb controller

scamper

Dedicated elf
Hi all, I have been searching the forum and have seen it somewhere but can't find it
Can someone tell me, When wiring up dumb controllers ie. 27ch ray wu or similar. using 4 core cable.
do you use power + and - and then dmx+ and dmx- and then connect the power- to the earth on the dmx? :eek:

scamper

Dedicated elf
so you are saying just connect dmx+ and dmx- and do not connect the dmx earth?

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
In most situations the + and - DMX will work sufficiently without the ground. But sometimes the ground is needed if there is flickering of the signal due to ground loops, but in my experience I have just used the DMX + and - only for these boards

scamper

Dedicated elf
Thanks, That is how I hooked them for testing and it worked, but I didn't want to wire up dozens of lights in the shed over winter, only to find I have a problem when it comes time to set them up at xmas.

Baf05

Full time elf
I would like to add my own dumb question to this, how do I get signal to it? I use the J1SYS DR4, but this board does not support cat5/6?

scamper

Dedicated elf
Baf05 said:
I would like to add my own dumb question to this, how do I get signal to it? I use the J1SYS DR4, but this board does not support cat5/6?
you need to wire a cable to go from one of the outputs on the dr4 to the 3 pin xlr skt on the 27ch board. from there you daisy chain them using the 4 pin plugs and wires that I was asking about
The pinouts can be found here...
http://auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/Connector_Pinouts