Answered Dumb RGB string problem

Kotche

Apprentice elf
Ok, so … in my slow approach to learning the how-to’s of smart pixels, I’m happily applying some knowledge I’ve gained to my dumb RGB display (mainly soldering multiple strings to run off the same controller / power brick combo).

My problem here is the two sets of netted lights I have on my garage door: a large net to the right and a smaller one to the left.

The nets are daisy chained (right to left), and came with European connections; each net has its own controller. I can sync both nets with the same flash-sequence, but when I power them off and then back on again, they each revert to a seemingly random pattern. Two wires go into the controller, feeding in power; two wires come out of the controller to feed the data and power to the strings.

This obviously will not do. Suggestions on how I can overcome this?

Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at 9.13.21 pm.png

Notenoughlights

400,000+ twinkly lights
When you say they came with European connections, do you mean they plug directly into 240V mains without a stepdown/low voltage transformer?

If this is the case, there is probably not a lot you can safely do, as the lights themselves (all be it, ultra dangerous) are running on 240V through that controller, and unless you really know what you are doing you would best be leaving it alone.

Photos of the controllers close up would be a big help to us here to prevent lots of guessing.

Kotche

Apprentice elf
Here you go. This is from another set (albeit multicoloured - so a little more complicated than the white ones I have in my previous photo?).

Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at 9.46.47 pm.png

Notenoughlights

400,000+ twinkly lights
Unless you are 100% sure on what you are doing and have no absolute doubt at all when working with 240V that you may miswire something because mains electricity can kill, then you will need to confirm what wire is the neutral wire going to the light set and what wires are controlled phases, the best you can get from this set is static lights assuming they are wired like the typical 3 wire DC lights. This you will be required to test and confirm.

As the post above states, these are dangerous light sets. Your best option would be to bin it and find a safer low voltage option with a memory hold controller.

Kotche

Apprentice elf
Ok. See? Still learning - I will take these down and dispose of them. I really appreciate the responses and am glad I posted about them.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
You can get similar light sets on eBay that are low voltage.

Try including "saa approved" when searching and tick the "include description" checkbox.

Notenoughlights

400,000+ twinkly lights
Can I wire these up to mains power, via a power brick from another set of lights? I have plenty of bricks to spare.
If the lights have "solar" in their description, no
If they have "low voltage" then they will come with a power adapter that plugs into mains to convert the voltage down to a safer voltage for use outdoors, around pets/children etc.
Most light sets won't let you wire another set to them unless they say "Connectable" and that means it's only for light sets of the same type.