Dumb RGB strip controlled by ws2811 chip

Bradistherad1

New elf
I have a roll of dumb rgb strip, 4 wire, and I was thinking of cutting it into sections of 5-10 leds and wrapping around a thin tree trunk, so that each ring going up the tree can be individually controlled. Has anyone cut open a pixel and replaced the LED with a short length of led strip?

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
I've not heard of this before no, but that doesn't mean it hasn't been done or couldn't be done.
That said I'm not sure if the data types are compatible though. I'm sure a more qualified expert will chime in shortly.

burnt

Full time elf
this controller will do the same thing http://www.hansonelectronics.com.au/product/2811dc15/
2811DC15.jpg

Lachi3

New elf
I have a roll of dumb rgb strip, 4 wire, and I was thinking of cutting it into sections of 5-10 leds and wrapping around a thin tree trunk, so that each ring going up the tree can be individually controlled. Has anyone cut open a pixel and replaced the LED with a short length of led strip?
I have seen that you can buy the individual ws2811 ic's but they are smd as well as the individual boards but they would both be pains to use.
Just get the 2811dc15 its way better and easier to use.

TerryK

Retired Elf
The RGB outputs of a WS2811 do not have the drive capacity for more than several LEDs. A power stage for each color would need implemented to enable the IC to properly drive the 'dumb' strip. So possible, yes. Practical, not really.