E1.31-7 Extended Packets may cause some systems to have issues.

Gilrock

Full time elf
multicast said:
Gilrock said:
I know for the software side I don't want it doing any sync and discovery. That just seems stupid for our applications. It should just be fire and forget.

Discovery does'nt make much sense, but sync really makes a LOT of sense. When you see the difference between a show when all the leds in show change together, versus one where the leds change over some period of change. ( as devices all receive their packets at different times of the network ) you'll know why sync is a really good idea. Its a bit hard to describe, but its makes things look a whole lot more snappy.

I'm not attacking you for sharing the info. I just don't think we need to worry about it. The FPP takes cares of keeping my show in sync just fine so yes sync makes sense I just don't need the standard to be changed I'm already satisfied.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Its only an issue if the software updates to the new standard, which I would be surprised it would for this season, but its good to know what's in the pipeline for the future

multicast

Senior elf
Gilrock said:
I'm not attacking you for sharing the info. I just don't think we need to worry about it. The FPP takes cares of keeping my show in sync just fine so yes sync makes sense I just don't need the standard to be changed I'm already satisfied.

The FPP can't guarentte that all devices in your set up change at the same time. Thats because its sending out packets sequentially and when they arrive things change. In bigger shows this can be up to 1/4 of a frame difference. In really big stuff, its getting close to 3/4 of a frame, and its noticeable.

the Sync that the FPP is providing and this, are two different thigns.

multicast

Senior elf
Fasteddy said:
Its only an issue if the software updates to the new standard, which I would be surprised it would for this season, but its good to know what's in the pipeline for the future

I expect that the standard will get through in the next couple of months. I'll be demonstrating the differnece that sync and no sync makes at the Melbourne mini, and when you've seen it, you'll know why its a good thing. It does'nt make much differnence for slow dimming things, but for LEDs. its awesome

Gilrock

Full time elf
multicast said:
The FPP can't guarentte that all devices in your set up change at the same time. Thats because its sending out packets sequentially and when they arrive things change. In bigger shows this can be up to 1/4 of a frame difference. In really big stuff, its getting close to 3/4 of a frame, and its noticeable.

the Sync that the FPP is providing and this, are two different thigns.

Yeah I'm talking about the sync between multiple FPP's. That's how my matrix is sync'ed with the rest of my show. I know what you're talking about and I consider it insignificant based on what I see in the real world in my show. Its a waste of time for my show. I don't plan on changing hardware so unless they upgrade firmware for what I'm already using I'm not going to lose a minute sleep over it.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
multicast said:
Fasteddy said:

I expect that the standard will get through in the next couple of months. I'll be demonstrating the differnece that sync and no sync makes at the Melbourne mini, and when you've seen it, you'll know why its a good thing. It does'nt make much differnence for slow dimming things, but for LEDs. its awesome

I see the reason for this especially in the commercial/show lighting world because when doing very large shows over a large area or doing effects that are in quick timing like strobing or beat based effects then this is where the advantages will be seen. But I see that for the DIY community that this is something that is not high on the list but will eventually filter into future updates and then we will see what controllers have the standard implemented correctly.
If you know what controllers will have issues then I think for the sake of saving anyone in the community future issues then you should inform these vendors when the standard is released.

multicast

Senior elf
Yeah I'm talking about the sync between multiple FPP's.
We'll this topic is not about that Sync.

That's how my matrix is sync'ed with the rest of my show. I know what you're talking about and I consider it insignificant based on what I see in the real world in my show. Its a waste of time for my show. I don't plan on changing hardware so unless they upgrade firmware for what I'm already using I'm not going to lose a minute sleep over it.

Just curious, have you seen 10 strings of pixels on different universes, running when they are synced, versus not synced? I'm glad you've already made your mind up, you'll be just fine.

multicast

Senior elf
Fasteddy said:
I see the reason for this especially in the commercial/show lighting world because when doing very large shows over a large area or doing effects that are in quick timing like strobing or beat based effects then this is where the advantages will be seen.
If you are running mroe than a few strings of Pixels across multiple universes, you'll see the difference. Its noticable and nice.

[SIZE=78%]f you know what controllers will have issues then I think for the sake of saving anyone in the community future issues then you should inform these vendors when the standard is released.[/SIZE]

i've already discussed it with a few folks, as i said earlier its not about name and shame, its about the opportunity to get it fixed before its a problem.

Gilrock

Full time elf
multicast said:
Just curious, have you seen 10 strings of pixels on different universes, running when they are synced, versus not synced? I'm glad you've already made your mind up, you'll be just fine.

Yep and if you watch any of my show videos you can see it also. I'm only running 50,000 channels so maybe that's why its not a problem....my show isn't big enough yet. I know what sync problems look like...I used to use LOR.

multicast

Senior elf
Gilrock said:
multicast said:

Yep and if you watch any of my show videos you can see it also. I'm only running 50,000 channels so maybe that's why its not a problem....my show isn't big enough yet. I know what sync problems look like...I used to use LOR.

What devices are you using that do this Sync? And what protocol?

Gilrock

Full time elf
I'm not saying my boards accomplish the sync you're talking about. I'm an engineer and I do real time embedded software including devices with embedded web servers and a ton of various communication interfaces. There's not much you can talk about that I won't understand. My only point is the inaccuracies you are talking about are really close to the barrier where its not perceptible to the human eye for the number of channels most DIY folks are running in their shows. Do you seriously look at most of the videos from all of us and notice problems? I don't....my visitors don't. I'm bored with this thread and will not be looking at it again.

multicast

Senior elf
I have just been talking to one of the vendors who many people love here, David Pitts and the Falcon. David is ontop of the issues, and will be in a position to provide firmware updates for the devices when E1.31-7 comes out, so Falcon users, you are going to be good, and you can go back to sleep.

Hes also going to talk with the Captain about the FPP as well, and knowing how proactive these guys are, they will be well on top of it.

CaptainMurdoch

Apprentice elf
multicast said:
I have just been talking to one of the vendors who many people love here, David Pitts and the Falcon. David is ontop of the issues, and will be in a position to provide firmware updates for the devices when E1.31-7 comes out, so Falcon users, you are going to be good, and you can go back to sleep.

Hes also going to talk with the Captain about the FPP as well, and knowing how proactive these guys are, they will be well on top of it.

I have been following this thread and have even sent myself a note about it so I have the thread linked in my email. I already have a couple TODO items on my list for things like priority and sync so it is definitely something that will get worked on on the FPP side. :)

multicast

Senior elf
CaptainMurdoch said:
I have been following this thread and have even sent myself a note about it so I have the thread linked in my email. I already have a couple TODO items on my list for things like priority and sync so it is definitely something that will get worked on on the FPP side. :)

Awesome! When folks see what a difference having synced Pixels makes, everyone ( well almost everyone! ) will want it.

You do need a way to latch all the pixels to chagne together in your hardware as well. and several of the devics out there do round-robin type arrangements so thats a bit more problematic. For some of our old boxes, the best we will be able to do is "very nearly synced".