E1.31 controller with storage

Madko

Full time elf
Hey Guys,

Is there a controller that has onboard storage so you can download your software and sequence and run it directly without having a computer connected?

Cheers

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer

Habbosrus

Back again
I bought a Pi with the intention of doing just that. I purchased my Pi from Element14 and it was delivered next day. HLSIdata can be converted via Nutcracker into the Pi format to be played with the Falcon Pi Player.

Madko

Full time elf
Hey guys,

Thinking of purchasing the below items. Running HLS. Is this all I need to be running directly from an SD card?

1. Raspberry PI model B with 8G SD card $53.90
2. Raspberry PI clear case $9.79

Both purchases from Element14

Once I have this I can use the Falcon PI player software to run my HLS sequence which can be converted using nutcracker?

Am I on the right track?

Cheers

Madko

Full time elf
Thanks for the info!

Is a RasClock used for scheduling you sequences to play at a certain time? For example 8pm every night?
If I also purchased the wireless dongle would I also need to purchase the RasClock board? Wireless dongle could connect to the net as well as having the advantage of wireless connection? Is this correct?

Cheers

neilric99

Full time elf
The Raspberry Pi does not include any form of clock on board in hardware, There is a 3rd party solution for this called RASCLOCK module which is a hardware realtime clock and is needed if you cannot get the time from the network when the PI starts up.

The RASCLOCK can be purchased from http://afterthoughtsoftware.com/products/rasclock

another great resource for Pi hardware is http://adafruit.com

Madko

Full time elf
If i used a timer on the Raspberry power supply to switch it on and off, each time i switched it on, would it just start up and start playing my sequence or does it need that Rasclock.
What are other alternatives?
Thanks

kane

Dedicated elf
Madko said:
If i used a timer on the Raspberry power supply to switch it on and off, each time i switched it on, would it just start up and start playing my sequence or does it need that Rasclock.
From what I know, the only reason you need to add the rasclock is if you are running in full standalone mode, where your Rpi can't access an NTP server on the Internet to set it's time. So as long as the Rpi is on your network (either wired or wireless), then you should be fine..