E1.31 ipv6 - Off for public review.

multicast

Senior elf
Hi Folks, The CPWG voted to send E1.31 out for public review for the inclusion of ipv6. This one wont' largely impact many of you, and the inclusion of ipv6 will be a "MAY" in the standard. As in you may use ipv6

Once its out for review i'll let you know.

multicast

Senior elf
bluzervic said:
Since we all use private networks internally, this probably will have Zero impact...

I don't imagine this will have a *large* impact immediately on the DIY community and the way that things are done today.. and since in the standard it is a MAY ( as in you MAY use Ipv6 ), it doe'snt impact a lot.

You might be suprized at how previlant ipv6 is now, many people will be using it on their machines without even knowing it as more and more ISP's are pushing it out, and OS/s are being deployed with it turned on by default. ( windows 10 for example, Macos and any recent linux distros )

The end point is one day in the future ( who knows when ) is that there will be no ipv4 and ipv6 will be what we all use.. it will take some time..

There are some drivers for using ipv6 that make it attractive to some people for reasons other than just the expanded address space.. ipv6 provides some mechansims for improved security ( you can use ipsec natively in the packet - you coudl if you wanted, use this to authenicate that packets arriving at your device where really from your controller.. stopping your light show from being 'taken' over.. This Possibly is not a problem for many people, but think about if you are lighting something liek an olympics opening, or presidental debate..

Ipv6 also provides some better mechansisms for multicast, you cna embed a RP ( Rendezvous Point ) in a an address etc..

Lastly and the big one.. Ipv6 has some very good tools for auto-configuration of networks and this is somethign that could make life a lot easier for DIYers.. The networking stuff can essentialy just get 'hidden'.. if you can plug your gear into a switch and turn it on, that is all that is required.

With many of these things, uptake intially can be slow, but then it just happens.

tooms

12v4life
The sooner we start pushing ipv6 and e1.31 the better I think, their will be kinks and bugs along the way so we need to start ironing these out now, which will no doubt take some time.

multicast

Senior elf
tooms said:
The sooner we start pushing ipv6 and e1.31 the better I think, their will be kinks and bugs along the way so we need to start ironing these out now, which will no doubt take some time.

Thanks. I hope you will contribute to the Public review process!