e682 & ws2811 always stay lit

Airwave1206

New elf
hello all, I'm new to the e682 and pixel lights. I just built the e682 and got it working with vixen 3. everything is working as it should, except the ws2811 pixels will not turn off. they are always lit. they change color and operate as they should with vixen and the controller, they just don't go dark and turn off. when the pixels are supposed to be off ,there a off white color. like I said, everything is set in the e682 and even without vixen running, just powering on the e682 the pixels are always lit

i13

Dedicated elf
Hmm not really familiar with the E682 but try adjusting the speed/clock/output refresh rate setting if available. There are a lot of things to try checking. How many power supplies are involved and are the negatives connected? Have you rechecked that the E682 is outputting with the WS2811 setting? How long is the data cable between the E682 and first pixel? Have you rechecked that the power supply is outputting the correct voltage? Does this happen if you apply power but no data connection to the E682?

damo

New elf
I had the same problem when the 'IC Speed' was set to 'Slow' ... Changed it to 'Fast' which resolved the issue

Airwave1206

New elf
hello I13, thanks for replying. I haven't tried the refresh rate. as soon as I apply power to the E682 the ws2811 pixels come on in off white color without any data running. they never go dark ( off ). while running vixen 3, the pixels function as they should until they have to go dark and then they don't. the data line is only 3 foot long. I just checked my power supply and it putting out 13.8 volts. that's ok for the E682 board cause it can run from 5 volts to 24 volts. I'm wounding if the 13.8 volts is too much for the 12v ws2811 pixels.

Airwave1206

New elf
hello damo, is the IC speed the refresh rate? how do I cange it. do I change it through the E682 web server or is it in Vixen 3?

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Airwave1206 said:
hello damo, is the IC speed the refresh rate? how do I cange it. do I change it through the E682 web server or is it in Vixen 3?

I think with the E682 there is a fast and slow 2811 selection you can choose because some 2811 have a slower refresh rate. So take a look in the E682 web server setting to see if you can change this

i13

Dedicated elf
I've only ever heard of pixels glowing red when the voltage is too high but that would still be worth lowering to 12V and giving it a try. A higher voltage can cause problems when the pixels should be off because that's when they draw the least current resulting in less voltage drop and the voltage staying too high by the time it reaches the pixels.

Airwave1206

New elf
to I13, thanks for all the help. I took the adjustable switching power supply out of my amateur radio gear. I adjusted to 12 vdc on the nose. powered up the E682 and the ws2811 pixel strand. all lights are now off. I ran vixen 3 with a dubstep sequence and it performed perfectly. the light went dark when there were supposed to. I wasn't too sure , since I built the E682 as a kit and had no other way of testing it. so thank you all for the great advice. so now we all know that the 12volt dc WS28100 pixels cant be powered greater then 12 volts dc.

thanks, airwave1206