Easy hookup 5V & 12V power supply rig

nato595

Let's do this!
Since I'm so new to all this lighting stuff, I've found myself spending the majority of my time hooking and unhooking different components to test with. I got tired of soldering and cutting and splicing to only end up undoing it after my bench testing was complete.
I whipped up this little testing rig, which gives me aligator clip outputs for 5V and 12V power as well as two sets of screw terminals for each 5V and 12V. The only thing I wish I would have done different would have been to add a 120V on/off switch between the power plug and the power supplies so I didn't have to plug and unplug often, but that's an easy future addition.
It might look very homemade, which it is, but it sure saves me time and serves the purpose!

Attachments

• 20130316_134756.jpg
    20130316_134756.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 214

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Nice.

Just make sure when ever you connect and disconnect the pixels that you do it with the power off or else you may damage the first connected pixel.

nato595

Let's do this!
Ed Slonka Jr said:
how do you keep from getting them mixed up?
Just by memory for now, the first set of aligators is 12V, the second set it 5V. The first two sets of screw-downs are 12V, the second two are 5V...
I've been meaning to find a Sharpie and label them, just haven't yet!

Binkles

Full time elf
I nearly hooked up power wrong, so have bought two rolls of duct tape. Red is 5v, green/yellow is 12v.

Every plug now has tape so that I don't stuff it up.

Alligator clips I hadn't thought of for testing, so will look at getting some in the future when testing out new ideas.

Love the idea of the test board.