ECG-D2 Locking Up

anon

Apprentice elf
Wassup,

Each year I forget how much the ECD-D2 drives me nuts and only realise again when I get my gear up and running.

The ECG-D2 keeps locking up, power and led is on and operation led flashes, however LEDs on the LAN port are off even though connected to the switch. Unplugging the LAN cable and trying different LAN ports has no effect. It then requires multiple power cycles to get the LAN port back up. Has anyone had this issue?

Feeling the PIC it's running warm and my IR thermometer shows it running upwards of 46C which to me is a little high in ambient 25C.

anon

Apprentice elf
So far last night it ran without issue and looks like tonight will be fault free. Same sequences etc, same setup (no keep-alive). I'm still confused, I would have thought if it were a keep-alive thing it would be fairly repeatable given what should be a fixed timeout?

anon

Apprentice elf
Alas, another year, another massive headache getting this to work properly.

Last year in approximately 33% of days running over a 2 hr period each day, the board would lock up. It would take multiple power cycles over 15 minutes for it to boot up correctly.

]Just trying to get things up and running again, and again without it any data being sent, spent 15 minutes trying to get it to boot-up properly and connect to the network.

Does anybody have any issues with these at all? Or have I got a dud?

anon

Apprentice elf
Screen caps attached

Attachments

• sys_info.PNG
    sys_info.PNG
    21.7 KB · Views: 17
  • port_config.PNG
    port_config.PNG
    38.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IP_config.PNG
    IP_config.PNG
    30.7 KB · Views: 16
  • XML_Config.PNG
    XML_Config.PNG
    15.2 KB · Views: 16

Benslights

Dedicated elf
you need to click loop and start zero also and set your interval ms from 200 to 30 that should sort your issue

Benslights

Dedicated elf
also you need to tick e1.31 and ubl on the port config page. ubl so you can use the ubl program later for making changes

anon

Apprentice elf
Cheers. What throws me is that it's intermittent, but if it is a timing issue influenced by these parameters it could well do the trick.

If only there were a manual describing what all these do!

dkulp

Full time elf
I've given up on my D2's for the same reason. For small numbers of channels (<50) per output, it seemed OK and would go a week or two between lockups. Beyond that, too unreliable.

Dan

anon

Apprentice elf
*sighs*

Thought with those changes I had gotten on top of it. But queue the hot weather and it doesn't want a bar of it.

Looks like I'll have to wait until Sunday when it cools down in Adelaide (from the current low 40Cs) for this f**king thing to stop locking up.

This will be the last year for it and will probably avoid anything J1-Sys related due to the lack of support and information.

Benslights

Dedicated elf
do you have a fan in the enclosure that is holding the d2 as it will help. I think I have been very helpful. amasing how there is heaps of them out there and running no problem

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
If you're desperate to run dmx stuff I have usb dongles in my store that can get to you overnight.

anon

Apprentice elf
BensChristmasLights said:
do you have a fan in the enclosure that is holding the d2 as it will help. I think I have been very helpful. amasing how there is heaps of them out there and running no problem

Certainly not directed at you! Your help is very much appreciated. Just a bit annoyed emails sent to the states aren't answered.

Previous years I noticed the micro was very hot to touch and was treated to a heat sink. I also tried fans with no success. I've got a few 40mm fans lying around so might have it another go.

My gut feeling is that the Ethernet Controller is drawing too much current and can't dissipate the heat when it gets above 35C ambient and goes into thermal shutdown. That or there is a pad or track lifting with thermal expansion. Normally bending/pressing a PCB at it firing up or dying is a pretty good sign of this, but no luck.