ECG-D4 controls what?

jimcllc

Apprentice elf
I know in order to use E1.31 I need a bridge between my PC and P12R. I also think the ECG-D4 is that bridge. My question is this: does the 4 outputs control 4different controllers (as in the P12R?) So since the P12R controls 12 universes, the ECG-D4 is a bridge for a possible 48 universes?

jimcllc

Apprentice elf
I'm running LOR s3 advanced. So I don't need anything between my pc and the pr12? From my pr12 im going to either pixel nodes or 5050 strips

burner

Full time elf
Your P12R has an ethernet socket on it. All you need to do is plug that into your network (or directly from the LAN cable of your PC) and that's it.

mborg10

Michael Borg
looking at the 101 manual on page 71 The ECG-D4 has 4 outputs for 4 universes. Each output goes to a 170 pixel controller.
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Easy-DMX-LED-controller-dmx-decoder-driver/701799_378111925.html
is this controller a single universe controller. or is it a 9 universe controller. From my understanding you can link 3 50 peice rgb sections together (with power insertion between sections) to give 150 pixels. Hence you can attach the 150 pixels, 1 universe to 1 connection point.

If this is a 1 universe controller, why have 9 connections.

If it is a 9 universe controller how can the ECG-D4 control it with only 4 universe outputs.

Or am I totally confused

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
mborg10 said:
looking at the 101 manual on page 71 The ECG-D4 has 4 outputs for 4 universes. Each output goes to a 170 pixel controller.
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Easy-DMX-LED-controller-dmx-decoder-driver/701799_378111925.html
is this controller a single universe controller. or is it a 9 universe controller. From my understanding you can link 3 50 peice rgb sections together (with power insertion between sections) to give 150 pixels. Hence you can attach the 150 pixels, 1 universe to 1 connection point.

If this is a 1 universe controller, why have 9 connections.

If it is a 9 universe controller how can the ECG-D4 control it with only 4 universe outputs.

Or am I totally confused

Totally confused may sum it up :D

The ECG-DR4 is 4 universes of DMX output, 1 universe per output. There are 512 channels per universe/output. So the controller you linked to is a 27 channel DC controller (9 RGB channels) so effectively you could connect up 18 of these controllers to one DR4 DMX output. These 27 channel DC controllers do not run pixels they run dumb RGB lights and DC controlled lights. If you wanted to run pixels then you would get better value from using an E1.31 to pixel controller instead.

mborg10

Michael Borg
Ok yeah I want to run pixels. Didn't realize these were for dumb rgb.

I was looking at the j1sys controllers for e1.31 the thing which made me want to go DMX was madrix. I'm not sure if madrix can run thru e1.31

If I were to go with the e1.31 and looked at other software. the ECG-12r controller. Is this 12 pixel strings of 50 pixels or 12 lots of 3 pixel strings.

mborg10

Michael Borg
I referred back to the manual and hopefully answer my own question. ECG-pr12 runs 12 universes. So 3x50pixels x 12 universes = awesome mega tree.

Soooo I'm reading that e1.31 is dmx512 over IP and the DR4 is a protocol converter (e1.31 to dmx512) madrix works with DMX512

Can the pr12 be controlled via madrix or no because pr12 is still e1.31 and needs to be converted using a dr4 and dmx pixel controllers.

I'm sure once I get it, it will seem easy, but my head hurts.

kane

Dedicated elf
mborg10 said:
I referred back to the manual and hopefully answer my own question. ECG-pr12 runs 12 universes. So 3x50pixels x 12 universes = awesome mega tree.

Soooo I'm reading that e1.31 is dmx512 over IP and the DR4 is a protocol converter (e1.31 to dmx512) madrix works with DMX512

Can the pr12 be controlled via madrix or no because pr12 is still e1.31 and needs to be converted using a dr4 and dmx pixel controllers.

I'm sure once I get it, it will seem easy, but my head hurts.
Yes, Madrix supports e1.31, so is able to talk to any e1.31 device directly.

Madrix would also support sending DMX data over a USB Dongle (which would output a single DMX Universe - 512 channels, hence DMX512)

You could look at a ECG-DR4 (or ECG-D4) as the equivalent of four separate USB dongles, but instead of being connected via USB, it's connected via ethernet, so the data comes via e1.31.. (technically, the output signal of a USB dongle is equivalent of each of the 4 outputs)

Hope that makes sense!

kane

Dedicated elf
Also, a slight correction - traditional DMX is not solely used for "dumb" Rgb - it's used for any physical device that understands a DMX signal. Yes, this could be a 27channel DC controller that is connected to some dumb RGB strips or strings.

But, it could also be used for pixels - there are some controllers that receive DMX data in, and spit out data in a format that the various chips that are used in pixels understand (eg 2801 or 1804 etc).

As an example, I have 2 of the outputs on my DR4 going to small dd-100 dmx protocol convertors, which are each connected to around 12metres of pixel strip, which was something like 140 rgb channels (420 actual channels)

But that being said, you're much better off sticking with a P12R/Pixad8/E682 as your cost per channel is much less! (in my case, I had those setup before any of these boards were released)