ECG-D4 Overruns

84berlinetta

New elf
Hello All,

Can some one please explain to me what could be causing overruns on the ECG-D4? I have not been able to find details on the configuration of this unit with regard to keep-alives, or details on how one might change the interval at which the PC attempts to refresh data pushed out to the universes. (I have a feeling one of these items may have something to do with my issue.)

Here are the details:
- Using the ECG-D4 to generate 2 DMX universes for the RGB strings in my display, supplementing an LOR network.
- The ECG-D4 is configured for operation on the default address of 10.10.10.10, ports 1 and 2 enabled for DMX.
- The ECG-D4 is configured with the Keep Alive feature as follows:
- "Act" enabled
- "Start Zeroes" enabled
- 200ms intervals (as I have seen suggested)
- "Clear Cnt" = 0
- "Total Cnt" = 0
- initial universe size of 512
- Show computer is configured to utilize wireless for my internet and home network connection, ethernet cad is configured for 10.10.10.200 and is dedicated to controlling the ECG-D4 exclusively.
- Utilizing LOR S3 as the control software

When I eventually get overruns on a port, that port shuts down. Unfortunately, this means some of the controllers I have purchased from Ray go into a demo pattern and activate the lights - not desired.

Any help from the gurus here would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Mark

dkulp

Full time elf
How many channels are actually used on the universe? If you aren't use the full 512 channels, set the initial size down to what you are actually using. That may help a lot, especially if you are only using a small number of actual channels.

84berlinetta

New elf
Thanks for the reply...

I am using the first 450 channels of each universe to run some arches using intelligent RGB strips. The remainder of the first universe is nearly full. I am not using anything beyond channel 450 on the second universe.

Just out of curiosity, how can enabling all 512 channels on a port cause problems with overruns? I don't even have any shows running at this point. The LOR Listener is simply active right now. I'm hoping I have not acquired a piece of equipment that will be problematic for the show season!

-Mark

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
It all sounds ok on paper, here is a screen shot of mine to look at. these settings work for me and I run some of Rays 10w spots that do the test pattern thing when they have no data.
For me as soon as i connect the the spots to the dr-4 the test pattern shuts off.

Steve

26-11-2013%201-59-25%20PM%20%28Small%29.jpg

dkulp

Full time elf
You'll need to send a note to Ed and see if he can help.

For me, I was only using about 50 channels per universe and dropping the number down helped a LOT. The lower the number of channels it has to send, the less time is spent sending the data and a lot lower a chance of an overrun. A full 512 channel universe takes 23ms to output. If another packet comes in that time or a ping has to go out, I think the D2/D4 gets confused. Yes, this is likely a bug in the firmware IMO. Again, contact Ed.

You could try turning the pings completely off. That might also help. Not really sure.

84berlinetta

New elf
dkulp - I have attempted to send several messages to Ed requesting documentation and I only received a reply on one of them. His advice was to keep most things "blank/zero/inactive". I'm sure he is a busy guy, so I'm hoping some of the other users can answer these questions.

Steve - My setup is nearly the same as yours - except my interval is double yours (200ms) and you have "LIOP" checked in your port configuration... can you tell me what that does?

Thanks, guys!
-Mark

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
couldnt tell you what it does but im pretty sure LIOP has to be on to keep the outputs active.
As I said. those settings run LOR boards, DMX boards and rays floods.
the floods dont ever go into test pattern unless i unplug the data. and the LOR boards running in DMX mode don't go to sleep after 10 seconds.

kane

Dedicated elf
ѕυρєямαη said:
couldnt tell you what it does but im pretty sure LIOP has to be on to keep the outputs active.
As I said. those settings run LOR boards, DMX boards and rays floods.
the floods dont ever go into test pattern unless i unplug the data. and the LOR boards running in DMX mode don't go to sleep after 10 seconds.

Nah, I don't think LIOP is required - that's the keep alive settings. I don't have LIOP enabled, and have the same as you - LOR boards, Ray 27CH dmx boards and his floods.

That being said, would be good to know what LIOP is - I haven't ever been able to work it out!!

Oh, and my DR4 reports a bunch of overruns, but doesn't seem to actually result in any issues... I do recall asking Ed about this in the early days, and he said that it wasn't an issue....