ECG-DR4, ECG-M32MX, ECG-PIXAD8 Production & Shipping Notes

tpboyce

New elf
One reason that I would want to go with 16 50 pixel strings as opposed to 8 100 pixel strings is that I do not want to think upside down for 1/2 of the element. If I am having a wave move up the tree, I would need to be aware that 1/2 of the strings were numbered differently and backwards!

j1sys

There are no rules, and those are the rules.
Community project designer
TP -

I hadn't thought of that issue. We will, of course, have reverse a string. I will see if adding reverse a block (or blocks) within the string will be too complex.

-Ed

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
tpboyce said:
One reason that I would want to go with 16 50 pixel strings as opposed to 8 100 pixel strings is that I do not want to think upside down for 1/2 of the element. If I am having a wave move up the tree, I would need to be aware that 1/2 of the strings were numbered differently and backwards!

Depending on what you are using to sequence your tree will be important. LSP supports this type of zig zag configuration for a matrix, a pixel mega tree is effectively a big matrix so this configuration will work very well as you dont have to think in terms of channels when seuqencing.
As far as sequencing a pixel tree manually like a traditional tree, this would be very difficult and time consuming without the correct software to make it easy.

neilric99

Full time elf
In LSP or Madrix you can define a snake mode for your strings, as well as define where the 1st channel starts, i.e bottom left, bottom right, top left, top right, after this the software will setup the 'matrix' of strings and from a sequencing perspective you dont need to know which dmx channel a particuler node or strings is on.

Neil

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
TheBanker said:
Are there links available to these products?
All in Good time,
things have to be perfected first.
if you have a DR4, you'll know the quality is high.
within a month i herd, dont hold me to it tho

kane

Dedicated elf
Ed was in chat a couple nights ago - he's just ensuring that the units work properly before shipping - he has a couple people testing them out.

I think he said that it'd be about a week until he ships - so towards the end of this week.

Blickensderfer

Ohio, USA
I've had my 2 pixad8 for over a week now. The hardware is rock solid but the software had a few minor issues that Ed is working on. I had them on display at the New Jersey, Epic mini.

Dan

j1sys

An update for those wondering 'Where is Ed?'

Sorry for dropping off the map last week. I was working on bootloader, bootupdater, and firmware along with some preliminary docs when we lost power last Tuesday.

In our town there are 200K+ customers (residential and business) of the local utility. On Tuesday evening 127K lost power. I got out the chain saw Wednesday morning and cleared the downed limbs hanging on my power feed. The numbers went down steadily until Thursday evening when they were down to 27K (including 6k in my zip code part of town). Then Thursday night we got hit again. Friday morning they were back up to 49K. We finally got power early in the weekend and we had to start cleaning out spoiled food and water in the basement from heavy rains. While cleaning the fridges we managed to clog up the kitchen sink pipes with waste from the garbage disposal. So I got out the plunger. When I hit it (I thought lightly) water came gushing out under the sink. A rusted out 50 year old 1.5” cast iron pipe had a blow out. I spent Saturday afternoon carefully removing the plumbing under the sink and back into the wall and cleaning out a major clog at the first elbow. Sunday afternoon I rebuilt the waste system from the wall out and then finished clearing the clog with water and cleaners.

Since then I've been working with a couple of Beta Testers that have given me good feedback and direction. I expect to have a new release ready for them today and I think it will be the base for a shipping version. I now feel more confident that the hardware is solid and that, with field firmware updates, the units are ready for prime time.

I will finish up some items today and tomorrow including placing final pricing etc. on our web site. This weekend is a 3-day holiday weekend here in the United States but I will work on getting these things ready to start shipping early next week. The post office is closed on Monday for the holiday.

With that said I will start accepting orders at Midnight Thursday Night / Friday Morning. So the first minute of July 1st. The time will be based on USA EDT (UTC-4).

Orders will be accepted for up to 2 units per customer and an email stating quantity and shipping information should be sent to j1sales@joshua1systems.com

An acknowledgement and invoice will be emailed over the weekend with payment instructions. Upon payment shipping will commence ASAP.

Thanx,

-Ed

p.s. some people have also asked about the M32MX field upgrade for the DMXRen8 units. We have the units in stock and still need to work on the software upgrade. It should start shipping mid-July.

Dave

Full time elf
Thats tough Ed. I hope all gets better for you and don't go down Phill's road and burn yourself out. Don't forget to make time for yourself and family.

All the best

Dave

makio001

New elf
Hey Ed,
I was reading about pending support for TM1804, any word on if it will be included on release?

Glad you're ok!
-Matt

j1sys

I wish I could say absolutely, positively. The code is written and works sometimes. Sometimes it doesn't. I'm very confident I can find and fix it. Will that be this weekend or next week sometime or maybe even later.

We have great confidence in the BootLoader (but it is brand new) and expect it to be very easy for people to rapidly update their firmware.

We have a 99% confidence level on the WS2801 and LPD6803 but even they may need some tweaking once we get feedback from customers. I'd put the TM180X at about 75% but with expectations that it will rise rapidly.

I hope people can bear with us over the next few weeks as we find and fix any problems as more people use the new product. I hope the solid work we've done on our other products will make people confident that we can make this product to the same high standards.

-Ed