ECG-P12R controller wire length

Dennisl

New elf
I like to add 12 vertical strings to the frt of my house each string would have 15 pixels if I use an ECG-P12R controller set in the middle of display the distance to the outside strings would be 24ft is that distance to far from controller to fist pixel not sure if their is a certain length that must be maintained between controller and first pixel on all strings Thanks In advance for any advice Dennis Laff

kane

Dedicated elf
Dennisl said:
I like to add 12 vertical strings to the frt of my house each string would have 15 pixels if I use an ECG-P12R controller set in the middle of display the distance to the outside strings would be 24ft is that distance to far from controller to fist pixel not sure if their is a certain length that must be maintained between controller and first pixel on all strings Thanks In advance for any advice Dennis Laff
You'll most likely find that 24ft (approx. 6m) is a little too far - although the best option is to test it out.

But with that being said, is there any reason you're planning on having each string of 15 on their own output? With a total of only 180 pixels, you could actually just use one output. The way matrices are usually done, you would have string one go from top to bottom, and string two from bottom to top (connecting the end of string one to the start of string two), and continuing up,down,up,down,etc. Then, in your software of choice, you configure the matrix in this way.

Hope this makes sense!

mborg10

Michael Borg
I would go with kanes method of just using one output. You can have 172 pixels off one universe, but if you are going stay with running it at a long distance I'd say you would have to have a null pixel in there. This will regenerate the signal and be able to pass the data on to the next one. Also the longer the power cable the more voltage drop. So try and get the controller as close to the first pixel as you can.

Dennisl

New elf
Thanks for the advice for some reason I just thought I had to run each one separate Dennis

mborg10

Michael Borg
If you have all the same pixel types you can run them together. Now you have 11 spare universes to add more pixels. Maxed out a p12 will give you 2064 pixels.

kane

Dedicated elf
ԆцряєсϮ said:
If you running 180 Pixels you will need to spread that over 2 universes.
You can only have max 170 pixels on 1 universe
Jees, how's my maths? Ruprect's correct - you'll need to use at least two universes..

If you were to instead use a P2, you could still use a single output, as these allow multiple universes per output (up to 4).