ECG P2 Jumpers

Porsche

Full time elf
Would someone be so kind to run their eyes over these pics to make sure Ive done this right.
Ive read the setup guide for the P2's and I think Ive got the jumpers in the right spots.
Im using the P2's with 12v input and 12v out to pixels, the quick notes say the below.
K2 - open
K3 1-2, 3-4
J1 1-2
J2 1-2

Thank u

Attachments

• 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    825 KB · Views: 26

Bill Ellick

Full time elf
Your picture is correct if you are taking +12 out through the J1 and J2 connectors to the pixels.
You say in your post
J1 1-2
J2 1-2
But in the photo they are actually
J1 2-3
J2 2-3 which is correct for +v output on J1 and J2
Just so you are certain, you do know that your pixels will need to be powered from a supply and not from the P2 unit as it is not designed to drive pixels directly. You could leave the jumpers off J1 and J2 and just take power from your 12 volt supply and inject it into the start of your pixel string or strip. Depending on how many pixels you are trying to drive will determine if you need to inject power down the line somewhere or not.
Hope that helps.

Porsche

Full time elf
Thanks heaps for that. Yes I did mean J1 and J2 2-3. Was a typo on my behalf.
You lost me when when you were talking about taking the jumpers off J1 and J2.
I am connecting these P2's to 2811 pixel strips. so if I took the jumpers off J1 and J2 are you saying I wouldnt need to inject power at the start of the strip?? or in either case of jumpers on J1/J2 I would still need to inject power at the start.
cheers
Phil

Bill Ellick

Full time elf
The only reason to use the jumpers on J1 and J2 is to get either 5 volt or +v (in this case 12 volt) out throught the connectors on the end of the board that go to the pixel strips.
BUT, the P2 is NOT designed to carry any big load (ie amperage) on those lines out so you will have to get power injected onto the strips no matter whether the jumpers are on there or not.
The jumpers only allow a small current out through there to run maybe 15 to 20 actual pixels, NOT an entire strip. The biggest use of 5 volts or +v out through the 2 connectors might be to run null pixels so that you can get some distance from the P2 unit to the pixel strip.
But you can not run a pixel strip through the P2 unit alone. You have to put power on the strips. The P2 is ONLY for getting the data out to the pixels. So you need power to the strips.
You only actually need the data line out of the P2 to your strips to run them. Then you would have power from a power supply connected directly to the pixel strips at the beginning and then at points down the line to maintain the necessary current to run them. Basically very 30 to 50 pixels you will need to inject power to maintain the necessary current for them to run right. The distance varies with different types of pixels so you need to figure out the necessary distance before you need to re-inject power.
Clearer?

Bill Ellick

Full time elf
Great. Glad I could be of help.
This is one of the little quirks that people can get stuck on.
The P12 unit from Ed over at J1Sys can drive srtips directly as it is made to allow more current through the boards although even it has limits at to how many pixels it can drive.