ECG-P2 physical connection to multiple pixel strings

heystew

New elf
I see that the ECG-P2 has two physical ports each supporting up to 4 universes of pixels.
Given that there are only two physical output connections, I assume that means you can only hook up two strings. Now a string could be 680 pixels long, however it is still only 2 strings, correct?
Is there a way to split the output so that you can have multiple strings acting as unique channels rather than one string per output? i.e. is there a way to hookup 6 x 100 pixel strings to the output in parallel, rather than in series and still be able to control them as unique pixels.
I'm pretty sure the answer is no, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious. For me it's great to see this many pixels in such a small package, but it limits the usefulness to me if they have to be all in two strings.

thanks in advance,
dave

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
The ECG-P2 has 2 outputs in parrallel that can have upto 4 universe of pixels per string, the individual strings connect in series so the data can be passed on from one to the other.

The ECG-P12R has 12 outputs in parrallel that can have 1 universe per output. each output can be individually configured.

so what you are asking for would be better suited for use with the ECG-P12R as this will give you the parrallel outputs you need. The ECG-P2 is not designed to work the way you have mentioned as part of its design was to keep it cheap while still affording good channel counts.

j1sys

There are no rules, and those are the rules.
Community project designer
as eddy said. they are designed for different solutions. a lot of people are wanting outline or icicles strings of pixels.

so the P12R and PIXAD8 are designed for matrixes or megatrees, while the ECG-P2 is designed for just 2 output strings that could each be 680 pixels long.

Personally I don't recommend "going to the max" on any of our products. not that they won't do it, but that the single point of failure starts to become an issue. i think two strings of 200-300 is a good mix for the ECG-P2. Twelve strings of 100 pixels is a good mix for the P12R etc. that way if a pixel dies, and takes all of the pixels beyond it out, then you will lose less.

plus compare the cost of 3 ECG-P2 to the cost of one P12R. if you run just 2 universes, on average, on each output of the ECG-P2 you are getting same pixel capacity as a P12R but look at the CPU power, RAM, etc. plus keeping one spare ECG-P2 in case of failure is more cost effective.

-Ed

BillInSoFL

Apprentice elf
The P2 doesn't supply power or fusing? How would you go about wiring up strings to include a fuse in there? I'm not great on the electrical or electronics side. I'd like to use 1 or 2 P2's for my roof outline. Just need to figure out how to get everything connected.

j1sys

There are no rules, and those are the rules.
Community project designer
in most roofline types of installations power injection is needed every 40 or so pixels. some people do DC-DC converters at each injection site, others do it directly with a larger gauge wire to reduce voltage drop.

although a small fuse at each injection might be nice, most people don't bother. they just rely on the protection in their power supply. if you want to add a fuse there are many inline fuse holders in auto parts stores or online on eBay etc. They would just be wired in series into one or both of the connections. Again adding one on just the +V side is usally adequate, if desired.

since the P2 series could be driving LONG strings of several hundred pixels we decided not to add any fuses or power injection to the unit. trying to keep it small and ecomincal.

-Ed

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Re: ECG-P2 physical connection to multiple pixel strings Layout Diagram

Below is a quick diagram of how the ECG-P2 would be connected for both single supply and multiple supplies. Now i do not have a P2 to check that the actual terminals on the P2 are correct, so im sure if something is wrong this will be pointed out and rectified, but for the purpose of allowing people to understand how it actually connects, this diagram will do the trick (i hope)
The below diagram only shows standard power connections thats most will use and does not show PPOE wiring or connection if that was going to be used instead

The same layout can be used for the DCG-P2 and the uDCG-P2 controllers as the wiring is the same

[attachimg=1]

Attachments

• p2 wiring.JPG
    p2 wiring.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 454

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
vincerules said:
Great pic eddy, do you know if the p2 is powered by 12 or 5 volt?

I do know it will take 7VDC to 36VDC, now as far as 5VDC, im not 100% sure enough to comment on this, Im sure Ed or Phil will pipe in with further info

petek157

New elf
First off, Eddy bless you and your diagrams. They have cleared things up for more times then I can count. And your manuals. Thumbs up!

Second, how do I order an ECG-p2? I can't find them on j1sys website, or eBay store. And on the same note, does this model come as a completed board? Running out of time to construct it myself.

Thanks,
Pete

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
petek157 said:
First off, Eddy bless you and your diagrams. They have cleared things up for more times then I can count. And your manuals. Thumbs up!

Second, how do I order an ECG-p2? I can't find them on j1sys website, or eBay store. And on the same note, does this model come as a completed board? Running out of time to construct it myself.

Thanks,
Pete
Im glad you have found the drawings and manuals to be of good use to you

The ECG-P2 come built and tested and also can be ordered with a case, just send an email to j1sales@joshua1systems.com with your mailing details and what you want and Ed will send an invoice back out within a couple of days

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
Were the P2's shipped with the 4 universe code. I know Ed was saying initially they may come with 1 universe code until the 4 universe code was completed. I have the P2's, but no spare pixels to test >170 pixels at the moment.