ECG-PPR-A and ECG-PPD

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
Ok,

Just wondering who can help me out as there doesn't seem to be any docs.

I have J1SYS P2 connected to the PPD using all 4 outputs including 5V and then the PPD to a PPR-A connected via CAT5 and the output of that to a string of WS2811 LED's.

Now it works without using the Extenders but not with the Extenders and I have tried all 4 TX and Rx'ers.

Is there anything else I should be doing?

Thanks

Geoff

harrison0550

Full time elf
Lifted from Ed's site........
"Our first PPR can operate in several modes. The mode is setup with wire jumpers on a screw terminal strip on the board and the use of differing connections on the external connectors."Im guessing there isnt any documentation on how that jumper wire needs to be configured? I will email him and see if I can get some details.

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
Thanks Andy,

I did email him with the address on his website so hopefully I get an answer.

I think the different modes is just to do with the voltage out. I'm not using the +V as I have a separate power supply for the string.

Maybe it has some thing to do with being WS2811 as it doesn't use the clock. Does the extenders need a clock to work? If so then I have just wasted money.

Cheers

prof

Apprentice elf
What model PPD are you using. The A,B or C.
What voltage is the connector on the P2 outputting to the PPD

robertt

New elf
I have 5000 ws2811 pixel modules connected in the same way as you have, I only use the P12R....

Things you can check;
Make sure the UTP is 1:1 straight.
Also play with the baudrate, I have 15mtr of UTP and a baudrate of 1800.
Check the lights again without the extender and make sure they work.
check this post: http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php?topic=5105.0 for some config info...
If things don't work post some pic's and schematics of your setup how things are connected and the extenders configured....

Hope this helps.

Greetings, Robert

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
Ok I have worked it out.

The following is what I needed to do:

1. Will not work with P2 supplying 5V as the regulator on the receiver needs a voltage higher then 5V so it can regulate down to the required 5V. I needed to change the jumper on the P2 to output 12V.
2. I needed a baudrate of at least 2000 to work, for some reason it didn't matter if I was using the Extender or connected directly I had to set the P2 to at least 2000, any less and the lights don't work.
3. Now the strange part, without the extenders I could only go around 4m when the P2 was set to 2000 baudrate and when I changed it to 3000 I managed to get 10m before I started having issues. Doesn't make sense as I thought the increase of baudrate would decrease the distance and not increase. I am going to do some more testing and see what length I can get at different buadrates.

Cheers