ECG PPR-B

bhamze

New elf
Hello,

I just placed order on the new P12D and PPR-B. I found a post regarding the P12D explaining its features and hardware setup but couldn't find anything on the PPR-B. I reached out to Ed regarding information but the guy must be swamped this time of year. Does anyone have wiring/configuration specs available? Just trying to get a head start before my product arrives. Thank you.

Bill Ellick

Full time elf
I have a PPR-B but am not at home now. I will try to take a look at it tomorrow and get back to you on it!

Bill

Bill Ellick

Full time elf
Well I have the PPR-B sitting here in front of me and it is pretty straight forward for wiring.

I don't unfortunately have any hard specs on the board as to how much current the traces for the +5 V and Grd lines can handle through the board.
DSC02472.JPG

The connections on the input connector (P1)(lower connector in picture) from left to right are

Grd C+ C- D+ D- +V

The output connector (P2) (upper connector in picture) from left to right are
+V +5 D C G

I would say that on the PPR-B that the +5 on the output connector is not used as it is coming off the regulator terminal where the C receiver has a regulator soldered on the board.

Same thing B on left but the back sides of the boards.
DSC02473.JPG

That is the B on the left and the C receiver on the right. The PPR-C just has a regulator attached to allow for 1.5A DC-DC on the board.
J1sys product line.JPG

Wish I had more but this should hold you over for now! Not that complex for hookup whether you are using the single ended output option or the differential output option from the P12D.

Bill

bhamze

New elf
Thanks Bill! It does seem straight forward, although I am curious about current capability's. Good thing I ordered extra to experiment :) . Having not received my items and lack of information, I just wanted to be sure there were no hidden surprises. Thanks again!

Bill

Bill Ellick

Full time elf
Your very welcome.
You shouldn't have any trouble I would think. Good luck with it. I am looking forward to playing with the various receivers and my P12D after the first of the year and see how they work for the two types of outputs on the P12D as well as how much distance the differential outputs can get with the different receivers.

Have yourself a great holiday season, a very Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year!

Bill

bhamze

New elf
Bill,

I too cant wait till experiment. I plan on starting as soon as I receive product (this weekend I hope). We should compare/share results. I will send you my email via PM if your interested. Thanks again, merry Christmas and happy new year.

Bill

Bill Ellick

Full time elf
That sounds good.
Just out of curiosity, what kind of pixels will you be running on your P12D and receiver? How far will the receiver be away from the P12D?

I am going to try out with ws2811, 5V, 50 node strings and some ws2812b, 30 LEDS per meter strips probably using the whole reel of 150 LEDS.

Bill

tjames

New elf
The PPR-B's are pretty straightforward, really not a whole lot you have to do with them other then attach wires to them. I'm running 11 of the 12 outputs on my P12D to PPR-B's running 12v pixels. One thing I should mention is that the connections can be finnicky on the p12d if you're running the solid cat5 wires. Since all my pixels are 2811, I've just used each pair of the cat5 cable twisted together for their respective connections, i.e. blue & blue-wht -> V+, orange & orange-wht -> D-, green & green-wht -> D+, brown & brown-wht -> G.

bhamze

New elf
In my current configuration I have a P12-S and ws2811 12v pixels. Several outputs utilize null pixels that extend up to 75', what a waste and pain to accomplish. I have an available output in which I would like to utilize and its element is roughly 100' from controller, no way was I using nulls this time. I reached out to Ed with the intention to purchase a pair of extenders. He informed me of the P12-D and the less expensive PPR-B receivers. Since I'm expanding next year I purchased the P12-D and a pair of PPR-B's to experiment. If all goes well I plan on removing the nulls and replacing them with PPR-B's. My items should arrive today, eager to begin :). Thanks again for info.

Bill