ECG682 vs. ECG-P12S

doczod

New elf
I may not be posting this in the right place, and I'm very new to controlling RGB Pixels, but I'm trying to do my homework and figure out which is better (hate to use that term), more popular, easier to interface/control, etc. I'm interested in the ECG682 and the ECG-P12S boards. The ECG board costs more. Am I talking apples and apples here or apples and oranges? Is it worth the difference? Still confused.

Benslights

Dedicated elf
I use a p12 and many other j1sys controllers in my display and find them easy to use and well worth the cost

Binkles

Full time elf
I use the smaller js1 p2 and with 8 universes, can't be sneezed at for a first controller.

hdracer

There is no rehab for the CLAP
What element are you considering to use the controller on?
P12 is good for pixel trees, p2 is good for large groups of pixels that you can run strings end to end on.
I use the p12 to run my pixel tree. then I use a single p2 to run the whole house. Output 1 goes to the bottom section of the home (outlines & windows) & output 2 goes to the roof.
Very nice product and easy to set up, I highly recommend using j1sys products. If you need some help with setting them up hop into chat & we can hash it out, their documentation area is very minimum. But very easy to use once figured out.

ԆцряєсϮ

Senior elf
I used 2 x P2's in my display this year but I'm also curious about the E682 as well as these can be bought in Kit form and anything I can build myself is better suited for my display.
Don't get me wrong though the J1sys stuff is excellent and has run flawlessly for me this year.
So has anyone here used the e682 and could they give us some feedback?
Also what are the limitations, how many universes, outputs etc.

Cheers
Rod

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
They all run E1.31, they all run pixels and they all will give you a show, so you wont be buying the wrong thing.

The differences these days are minimal and all you need to look at is if you need one with many outputs or one with just a couple of outputs

cscool36

Full time elf
I am running a E681 (updated to E682) for my Mega tree. 16 Strings of 50 ws2081 5volt, 25 up and 25 down.
I think that it is up to 6 universe. The new interface is easy to set up.
I got mine as a kit and put together myself.
The main reason I got the e681 is that it had 16 outputs and was easy for my mega tree.

Hope this helps.
Colin

multicast

Senior elf
Fasteddy said:
They all run E1.31, they all run pixels and they all will give you a show, so you wont be buying the wrong thing.

The differences these days are minimal and all you need to look at is if you need one with many outputs or one with just a couple of outputs

It would be interesting to see if they all actualy run e1.31 as per the standard. or how far they all comply to the standard!

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
I tend to agree that they run e1.31 as far as saying they work with our lights and software, but probably cut a few corners on some of the deeper implementation items that many of the older boards did not support. Given time, further firmware and probably hardware updates they will evolve as have some of the other companies out there

vincerules

Full time elf
I use the J1sys P2 controllers. This year I controlled a matrix 14x90 (1260) pixels with one P2. Next year I am using 2 P2's to run my mega tree which will be 31x85.

I love the P2s! :D

jcmarksafb

Hello from Christopher Creek Arizona
The 682 can run up to 7 universes in multicast and 12 universes in unicast. I like it because it has 16 outputs so you can run many different strings and string types. You are restricted however to groups of 4 outputs doing the same things at a time, so you end up with 4 groups of 4 outputs to work with. I bought mine because I like to build kits, and these kits are top notch, plus everything you need to know about the kits and setup is on the web site.
John

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Qiang Fu Kiwi said:
Fasteddy said:

It would be interesting to see if they all actualy run e1.31 as per the standard. or how far they all comply to the standard!

For the average user in this hobby I dont think they really care about the details of the standard as long as it runs in E1.31 with their software of choice and gives them blinky is what seems most important.

I think most consider important user features like $ per channel, DMX output, pixel support, GUI, testing ability and so on.

But i do wonder how close they do follow the spec

mpurser

m purser
while i have not working knowlage of the ecg-p12s i do own 2 682s and 3 684s the new web server makes it a snap to set up mine ran flawlessly all this year and last year when i did have questions jim at sanddevices was jonny on the spot with answers and help.top notch service and after the fact support.will i buy from sandevices again.YES