EDM Design FM Transmitter promotion for August (2016)

ryanschristmaslights

Senior elf
Administrator
Hi all,

For anybody looking to buy one of the EDM Design FM Transmitters, until the end of August there is a promotion for free shipping (normally US$15) and a free 'rubber duck' antenna (normally US$12). It may only be a saving of US$27 but that is US$27 in your pocket to spend on something else ;) .

To take up the offer you'll need to send an email to edm@global.co.za with what you want to buy, instead of using their website. Don't forget to mention you are an AusChristmasLighting member, as this offer is only for Christmas lighting forums and communities. :)

EDM transmitters do cost more than what you'll find on eBay but they allow for variable adjustment of the output power, from as low as 1mW to as high as 100mW. Please note that EDM transmitters are sold in a kit, and to complete it you'll need to solder on the DC power jack (included).

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
I'm not sure I understand the difference between the models. Anyone else have these and can recommend which one to use here in Aus?

Skunberg

Full time elf
I got the one with RDS as I hope to use that feature in the future. love it, such clean sound and not over powering.

bbayjohn

Senior elf
I used an edm transmitter last year and it was great. Previous to that I used the ebay model and found it would fail when a storm was approaching. I got the rds chip although I haven't bothered using that part of it.

videoman3857

Full time elf
I purchased the EDM-LCD- CS from the "For Sale" section of the forum. It was brand new, still in kit form in the box.
It failed to operate after about 3 hours of testing and playing.
I contacted EDM and told them of my plight. Regardless of the fact that I was the second owner of the unit, EDM advised it has a 4 year warranty and they would honour it - even though I did not have a receipt and they gave me an address to send it to - in America !
I advised them I was in Australia, to which they replied they no longer had an Australian repair warranty repair agent.
Knowing nothing about electronics, I described the problem and then took power readings for them. The conclusion was a cylindrical 12Mhz crystal needed to be replaced. I purchased 10 of them through E-bay for $2.00 including postage and tonight I replaced the crystal. The unit is now fully functional.
The extent that EDM went to to help me rectify my problem was outstanding.
I had no qualm about replacing the crystal as I had the magnifying lamp, a good soldering iron, confidence and good soldering skills to do the job.
I was reluctant to send this unit to America for warranty work. The postage there and back far outweighed the $2 I spent on the crystals and EDM would still honour the warranty if I could not get it to work.
The sound quality from this unit is excellent and I would not hesitate to recommend this unit for a newbie to fm music transmission. My only advise would to be to purchase the optional antenna as you only get the basic test one with the unit.

djgra79

Global moderator
Generous elf
Just placed an order. They have run out of the antennas but are still honouring the deal for the next week. Shipments will be delayed until antennas back in stock.

Skunberg

Full time elf
videoman3857 said:
I purchased the EDM-LCD- CS from the "For Sale" section of the forum. It was brand new, still in kit form in the box.
It failed to operate after about 3 hours of testing and playing.
I contacted EDM and told them of my plight. Regardless of the fact that I was the second owner of the unit, EDM advised it has a 4 year warranty and they would honour it - even though I did not have a receipt and they gave me an address to send it to - in America !
I advised them I was in Australia, to which they replied they no longer had an Australian repair warranty repair agent.
Knowing nothing about electronics, I described the problem and then took power readings for them. The conclusion was a cylindrical 12Mhz crystal needed to be replaced. I purchased 10 of them through E-bay for $2.00 including postage and tonight I replaced the crystal. The unit is now fully functional.
The extent that EDM went to to help me rectify my problem was outstanding.
I had no qualm about replacing the crystal as I had the magnifying lamp, a good soldering iron, confidence and good soldering skills to do the job.
I was reluctant to send this unit to America for warranty work. The postage there and back far outweighed the $2 I spent on the crystals and EDM would still honour the warranty if I could not get it to work.
The sound quality from this unit is excellent and I would not hesitate to recommend this unit for a newbie to fm music transmission. My only advise would to be to purchase the optional antenna as you only get the basic test one with the unit.

May I have permission to cross post this to other forums?

djgra79

Global moderator
Generous elf
Got mine on Friday, just tested and looks to be working fine!