eeny meeny miny mo - which computer do I get?

Beacy

It's so much better on the dark side
I need to get a new computer and am unsure which one to get I currently have

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT

Now not being a tech head I'm not sure which one to get

1. [SIZE=78%]http://www.cplonline.com.au/online-shop/desktop-computer?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_default.tpl&product_id=15182&category_id=106[/SIZE]

2.[SIZE=78%]http://www.cplonline.com.au/online-shop/desktop-computer?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_default.tpl&product_id=9243&category_id=106[/SIZE]

I'm just concerned that I have an i7 at present and the price of them has shot up but will the i5 run as faster or faster than what I've got

I'm trying to keep it as close to $1,000 as I can

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

ShellNZ

Senior elf
Personally I would go with the Code10 machine.

* Not sure whether you currently have an SSD in your i7 machine but it makes a helluva difference in performance/switching/startup.
* The i5's on both machines are the same so no diff there.
* Kingston HyperX 8GB, luvly. The other machine doesnt state brand at all. Gigabyte (Code10) has 32GB mem capability, Asus has 16GB max.
* Gigabyte also has 2 x 6Gb satas, Asus has none.
* The other machine does have a monitor with it, but if you already have another monitor then thats not needed.
* Both provide a 2TB sata HDD, I prefer Seagate over WD
* Onboard gfx of Code10 looks to be sufficient for anything you would want to do, in time if its not just grab a PCI-E card.
* Code10 case looks purdy funky :)

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I tend to agree with Shell here, the Code 10 looks like it will give you better number crunching than the other and thats important when sequencing large numbers of channels. The SSD is a bonus and this also comes with a version of windows (64 bit professional). If you already have a monitor then this would be my choice for a show machine. The only thing is it does not come with a video card, this may not be an issue but if you do experience some video performace lag when playing back in the visualizer then you may need to add a dedicated video card.

Bird

LOR user
Keep in mind the follwing review is based on not owning a computer store for six years now

Code 10 looks like the winner to me

Processor Intel Core i5 3570K 3.40GHz -- both are the same
Memory Kingston 8G 1600Mhz HyperX -- Kingston is good
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z77MX-D3H -- Gigabyte is good
Graphics Card Onboard -- OK for most things, if sequencing seems slow throw in a better video card, video does have an affect on things like data bases as well as games etc.
Hard Drive Lite-On 128G SSD + Seagate 2TB SATA3 -- Solid state drive and a Seagate, very nice
Optical Drive Samsung DVD Burner -- who cares
Case Aerocool VX-E Pro -- don't know
Power Supply Coolermaster 525W eXtreme -- best out there
Operation System Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64bit -- both are the same but we can't win them all LOL

Beacy

The Video card may be the issue that I need to also address any suggestions?

Also I'm a little lost on which is better my existing i7 @280ghz or the i5 @3.40ghz

One would assume that the i7 would be better or would it?

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
The speed of the processor is important as a lot of the runnings of LSP are done on single cores, so the I5 may infact perform better than your I7 when it comes to sequencing performance.

amps

New elf
What are your software needs that an i7 860 isn't cutting it anymore? I could imagine if you were working in graphics (animation, modelling, rendering) or if gaming was your preference but then the video card may have a bigger impact than anything else you were upgrading.

Beacy

I need to buy 3 new computers for work & figured my existing i7 could go there and I would replace it with one of the new ones.

LSP is the biggest drain on it with 30K channels to sequence I get some lag

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:
The speed of the processor is important as a lot of the runnings of LSP are done on single cores, so the I5 may infact perform better than your I7 when it comes to sequencing performance.

Just to clarify a question that was asked, LSP does use multiple cores, but this is more about when you have different things going on, like having optimization going on in the background on one core where as you sequencing would use another core. It doesnt seem to have the ability to split up a task over different cores, it just puts different tasks on different cores

ryanschristmaslights

Senior elf
Administrator
Code 10 looks like a better system, even though it is box only. It uses the Z77 higher-end chipset in the motherboard (as high as you can go before jumping up to enthusiast grade expensive territory)

But if you are able to customise it at all I'd recommend going with an Intel 330 or Intel 520 120/180GB SSD, if not a Samsung 830 128GB SSD. I'm not sure how much of a track record the Lite-On brands have in SSD territory.

A 3rd-gen i5 (i5-3xxx) should perform as good or better than a 1st-gen i7 (i7-xxx). Almost all 3rd-gen i5's are quad core. 3rd-gen i7's are still quad but gain hyperthreading. Only some processes use hyperthreading (like video editing).