Effects playing beyond the time specified

thevikester

Apprentice elf
Hey Sean= I have taken a song, and basically told it to do nothing after the first 30 seconds, and have NONE in the effects until he end of the song...the effects just keep playing...I removed a morph from the Mega Tree, resaved, just continues to morph...any thoughts on this? Thanks for alllllllll the exceptional work

nzlongfellow

Dennis from NZ
Hi None means nothing in xLights.
You need to select COLOURWASH and tick the BLACK only to stop the lights. Lights stay ON in xLights to whatever the last command was so this will make them display BLACK ala OFF.

thevikester

Apprentice elf
When I say None...I'm referring to the actual Drop down box for Effect, that says None...and update the Grid with that...does that not actually mean NONE, as in no effects? For it to be able to update the grid, I would think that would stop the lights from going on...I don't believe you should have to create black colorwash every time you want the lights to stop...that's just crazy talk :eek: .
The second piece of that, is the removal of the model, which in this case is Whole House Effect...it just kept playing the effect I had put in there, despite, removing the model and the effect, and resaving the sequence.

smeighan

Dedicated elf
thevikester said:
When I say None...I'm referring to the actual Drop down box for Effect, that says None...and update the Grid with that...does that not actually mean NONE, as in no effects? For it to be able to update the grid, I would think that would stop the lights from going on...I don't believe you should have to create black colorwash every time you want the lights to stop...that's just crazy talk :eek: .
The second piece of that, is the removal of the model, which in this case is Whole House Effect...it just kept playing the effect I had put in there, despite, removing the model and the effect, and resaving the sequence.

I have had so many questions on this, it tells me we have picked the wrong names.

None,None means xlights will not touch the content of a grid cell. Its purpose was for people who created effects on their rgb devices in LSP and also wanted to use nutcracker effects.
Suppose you have a matrix, lsp created a movie on your matrix for the first 30 seconds.

When you enter "None,None", xlights will do nothing. So first 30 seconds of "None,None" allows original imported effects to shine through.

What if you really want the lights to be off?
Use ColorWash with 1 color=BLACK.

What if you leave a cell completely blank? Then we will continue doing whatever effect was above us.
What if you start with a blank cell on row 1?
We have no idea what to do. We cant see an effect on row 0. Do NOT put empty cells on the first row.

sorry for the confusion

thevikester

Apprentice elf
Thanks for the clarification Sean...NZLong...I am sorry I doubted you....
Out of curiosity though Sean...when I removed a model from the Display elements, and then resaved the sequence...should it not have removed that from the sequence?

buzzdude

Full time elf
Hi

Sorry for my confusing post above. There must be multiple ways to turn off the lights.

I have used one word "None" in the cells to turn off the lights, then in the next cell selecting an effect.... etc. I had just copied and pasted the word None in cells where I wanted the lights to be off.

Found it to be a lot faster.

I start all my sequences with the word None so that all the lights start in the off state.

Shane