Electrical Work Laws

jonjon_arma

New elf
Hi everyone,

I'm new here- hoping to get my first setup going this year.

Is anyone able to explain the legal requirements of what we can do ourselves, vs what we need to get someone qualified for? I'm trying to figure out how to power around 400 LED's, and it seems like the best way is using an enclosed power supply. I've tried reading through several posts and looking on the wiki, but haven't been able to find anything super clear. Some people suggest that some things need an electrician, but I can't tell what.

I'm in Victoria if it makes a difference.

Thanks

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Hi @jonjon_arma Welcome to ACL.

My advice would be to speak to a local radio/TV repair person or electrician, someone who works in the field - to understand the requirements in your state. It does vary state by state in Australia.

Many people work on their own stuff, however this does open up a whole host of potential legal and insurance issues should there be an incident if they are in a state that prohibits such work by unlicenced folk.

As a mod - I will caution people on offering what is "advice on a legal subject", in this area.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
The really short answer would be that you would need to be a licenced electrical contractor in order to work on any 240V equipment in Australia.

scamper

Dedicated elf
Pretty much what has been said, you need a limited license to work on the plug in stuff and a contractors license if you work on the house wiring.
If you don't know what you are doing, don't touch it.

Kingfisher

Apprentice elf
Pretty much what has been said, you need a limited license to work on the plug in stuff and a contractors license if you work on the house wiring.
If you don't know what you are doing, don't touch it.
I just had a quick look at QLDs requirements, and it kinda read like you can't get one unless you need one for work even if you've done the course work... and I think that's dumb.

scamper

Dedicated elf
I should learn to keep my metaphorical mouth shut. I have been out of the industry for a few years and as Skymaster said it varies around Oz.
I did just have a look at some of the laws and it would appear there is more and yet less control in various states.
I guess that since there are mandatory safety laws relating to RCD's and the like the powers that be must have relaxed some of the laws allowing you to fiddle with plug in stuff

My original comment still stands. If you don't know what you are doing, don't touch. Mains even if it doesn't kill you does hurt. Get some expert advise and only once you understand what you are doing attempt it, then get someone to check it.

chickda

New elf
Buy a server power supply with a plug connection for 240v. That way your not doing any wiring for it. All you need to do is plug it into a socket and you will have 12vdc.
You can do all the wiring you want for the 12v side.

Iain

Full time elf
And to be pedantic, I heard once that “cable tying extension leads around your house” counts as permanent installation in some states, and technically requires a licensed electrician…

DarkwinX

Full time elf
Buy a server power supply with a plug connection for 240v. That way your not doing any wiring for it. All you need to do is plug it into a socket and you will have 12vdc.
You can do all the wiring you want for the 12v side.
The only challenge with this is running a power cable into the box - wouldn't you still need to wire this up yourself?

chickda

New elf
The only challenge with this is running a power cable into the box - wouldn't you still need to wire this up yourself?
Nope, just have the plug hanging out of the box and use an extension lead to power it.
I think a 25mm or 32mm gland will pass through the smaller end of the power connection. If you know what I mean?

thewanderingpine

Full time elf
Bunnings sell boxes that clip around a cable -- allowing you to have pre-connected power cables. (I don't know they have one big enough for a server PSU and controller -- but there are options).

videoman3857

Full time elf
I just had a quick look at QLDs requirements, and it kinda read like you can't get one unless you need one for work even if you've done the course work... and I think that's dumb.
Yep that's Queensland for you.
I had a limited electrical license for my business - was so hard to get it.
It was Disconnect /Connect which basically meant you can remove a power lead and reconnect the power lead.
You couldn't remove a single power point and replace it with a double - that was a different license again.