Enclosure questions

RolyT

New elf
Generous elf
What is the best way for drilling gland holes in enclosures,a stepped drill bit?

What size for a rj45 bulkhead or a 4 cable gland?

These 4 cable glands seem very tight for pigtails are they usually so hard to squeeze through?

Thanks in advance

What is the best way for drilling gland holes in enclosures,a stepped drill bit?
I use the spade bits for drilling mine. Slowly so the plastic doesnt melt and re-fuse itself.
A stepped bit would also work.
I also use a hole-saw for 60mm holes for fans.

(I should reiterate that this is for a plastic enclosure, for metal a step bit is your only option)

Depends on the size of the gland. I dont use 8p8c glands, but for the 4 cable ones, it's a 25mm bit.
For the glands for my mains cables, those are 16mm, and network is 12mm.

My network connections are just a cable with an 8p8c crimped on both sides. Cheaper to replace and work with for me.

These 4 cable glands seem very tight for pigtails are they usually so hard to squeeze through?

Thanks in advance

There are multiple sizes you can get.
I have small holes (3.8-5.2mm) and large hole ones (5.6-7.3mm)
The former is used with solar cable for power injection. The latter is used for pigtails and other mains-sized cables.

Last edited:
I use step bits because they seem easier to use and control for larger holes. Plus they are cheaper to buy as a set of three and some such instead of trying to get multiple larger drill bits.

Each one is slightly different as I found out the hard way. The best thing to do is make sure you have them on hand and measure what is needed for the opening. Also, make sure you have enough of each on hand for each hole you drilled. I ran out of one connector and went to use a different one and found out my hole was too large for the new one. Lucky, it wasn't too large and it worked out anyway.

Thanks in advance
I ordered some and found out they were way too tight as the holes only went up to 6mm and the pigtails were almost 7 and it would take some lube and a lot of effort and that was not something I wanted to do. Looks like @Skymaster had a nice solution for larger holes.

I use a Dremel to hand router the rough hole, then attach the round sander attachment and smooth out the hole. It's not always perfectly round but so long as the cable gland can pass through and no gaps its fine. Step bits will ensure a much nicer and rounder hole however.

Stepped drill bits all the way.

lots more control compared to other options.

a cheap $15 set from Amazon is all you need. Just measure your glands to find the right size, for my RJ45 glands it’s 22mm.

plus good for drilling conduits as well. Just drilled 900 holes a few days ago
1725070045510.jpeg

I think @Skymaster hit the nail pretty much dead centre. My 2cents. Stepper or foster drill bit for plastic. Only issue with foster is it only 1 size, i.e. you have to purchase multiple bits for different hole sizes. Stepper you can drill multiple sizes with 1 bit. I've bought this set from Amazon, works just fine. Also invest in a digital calliper. It saved me from endlessly measuring / drilling / measuring / drilling. Amazon has this one for $14.

Back