Answered Erroneous data?

Qantarus

Year 3 - still keeping it simple
20201124_184353.jpg
Put this in the "I'm sure it's been asked a thousand times" column but, anyone got any idea why I have 6 pixels lit yet nothing being sent from the controller?

I think it has something to do with a channel issue but can't find anything on here (not using the correct search term).

Running this string off a smart receiver connected to a falcon f16v3. Have replaced the string and changed the port but same issue.

BAZMick

Full time elf
Generous elf
Data wire into DO when it should be DI?? Have you got minimum 5.3V powering the smart receiver?

Qantarus

Data wire into DO when it should be DI?? Have you got minimum 5.3V powering the smart receiver?
Can confirm the 5.3v on the smart receiver. Rest of the string and 2 other attached seem to work ok.

Have tried another string with another pig tail and it does the same thing.

BAZMick

Full time elf
Generous elf
Derf mentioned the Terminators over on another thread.

scamper

Dedicated elf
Is the controller on? Does it all work in test mode?
Pixels will light on certain strings etc if no data is received to tell them to be in the off state.
Make sure your ground wires are connected properly and if you are running ground from a different point, ie from a controller and power direct from the power supply, make sure the grounds are tied together.

BAZMick

Full time elf
Generous elf
Wasn't that minimum 5.3v changed to be 5.0v ?
Yeah maybe, I haven't opened my new ones from this year yet. When I went to run a small show for Halloween this year I started up one of last year's receivers from a plug in 2.5amp PSU and the receiver didn't work, so I looked at the manual from the falcon site and it shows that the minimum is 5.3v still.

prof

Apprentice elf
Possibly the controller config has the port expanded into smart mode but the receiver is in dumb mode

TerryK

Retired Elf
Wasn't that minimum 5.3v changed to be 5.0v ?
I thought I had read that David was implementing a Smart Receiver voltage spec change too but an ACL and Falcon Forum search did not show anything. I recently received a pair of v1.03 receivers which has a LM2937ET regulator. The LM2937 is a low dropout regulator and with no method on the board to bypass it, it would appear the 5.3 volt spec remains.

Qantarus

Possibly the controller config has the port expanded into smart mode but the receiver is in dumb mode
This is what it ended up being - I have the receiver in dumb mode but had it mapped to Smart Receiver A in Xlights - moved a single dip switch and all good.

Clearly a PEBKAC error.

Note to self - don't do a full days work then extra hours on lights or you end up doing stupid things......