1. New to Christmas lighting? Get started with the AusChristmasLighting 101 Manual:
    auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/AusChristmasLighting-101

ESPixelSticks

Discussion in 'The Development Lab' started by danv, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Syd

Syd New Elf

Was able to flash 4 ESP01's with the puya chip - Hats off to DANV - Even stuck it on Google drive PM me if you need the link

2. SmartAlecLights

SmartAlecLights Im a SmartAlec what can i say! Community Project Designer

Find Me On:
    Looks like a great couple of boards you have there

3. Sonny_Jim

Sonny_Jim New Elf

Is there anywhere still selling these?

4. OP
    OP
    danv

danv Full Time Elf

How many do you need mate?

5. Sonny_Jim

Sonny_Jim New Elf

1 or maybe 2? Just trying to get a price to see if I can fit it into my budget

6. OP
    OP
    danv

danv Full Time Elf

7. OP
    OP
    danv

danv Full Time Elf

Thanks mate

8. OP
    OP
    danv

danv Full Time Elf

Can you post the google drive link here in the thread please Syd?

9. Tory Street Lights (NZ)

Tory Street Lights (NZ) New Elf

My comment about running Pixelsticks would be to be very wary of running a number of them if you are in a built up area with neighbours that have WiFi. I ran 23 of them last year using my own variation of level converter which used a CD40106 to achieve this with an on-board 3.3 Volt Regulator, they had from 50 to 600 Pixels attached to each, 5,000 Pixels in total, mostly on a 75 Pixel 24 strand Mega tree and a 50 x 24 Matrix, with the rest on roof lines and window frames. I used an upgraded Ubiquity LocoNano M2 as my access point, all running multicast from xLights scheduler. When everything was operating without interference, it all worked perfectly, but on occasions I experienced from 0.5 sec to 1 sec lag compared to the 800 or so AC controlled channels that the Pixels were sequenced against. This lag could stay in for 30 secs to 10/15 mins plus, with no indication of if/when it might/could occur. I was totally frustrated, almost to the point of pulling the plug which really took the joy out of putting on a display.

I will not be running ESPixel sticks again, apart from one place that I have to get to by wireless, and if that ESPixel stick shows any indication of lag, I will revert to the original wireless unit that was reliable, namely an XBee pair. After last seasons disaster I have already purchased, via this website, Falcon wired gear to replace all but one of the ESP's as I cannot tolerate the stress of putting on a sub-standard display to the public, even if they think it looks "OK"!!.

As a rider to this diatribe :-( The ESP's worked virtually perfectly the previous year after I changed over to Multicast, but I only had 2,000 pixels on 14 of them in use.

Terry

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
  10. Sonny_Jim

Sonny_Jim New Elf

At the moment I'm leaning towards more a Pi Zero W. The drawback is that it's slightly more expensive ($20 + SD card) and harder to get bulk quantities (most places are limited to one per customer). The benefits are that it's infinitely more flexible and opens up a lot more options than just squirting pixel data over WiFi.

11. Syd

Syd New Elf

Well - I have been quite busy with Wemos Minis and the Fruya install code is buried somewhere - I tried wiring up a soldered circuit with the esp01 chips - but that failed for some unknown reason ... I would seriously recommend the D1 Minis - they are cheaper that the combined parts for the Pixelstick - and a joy to use ... I have 4 scattered around in test modes - I also got a ESPixNode which is built around a node MCU - another joy to use - I have sidelined the esp01 development and Strongly suggest you do the same ...

If you were making a suggestion to put a link in for the installation for other newbies like me - I still will - but I think it sends them down the wrong path ...

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019