Evaluating LSP

remoteutah

Full time elf
Gil,

Since we have last messaged, I also have purchased and upgraded to Advanced. So I am committed too! Or maybe I should be committed??? ::)

Just so you know, Mike @ LSP and I were discussing the wrong link in the email you get from sales at LSP. That is NOT the latest version! Follow the change log thread on LSP forums. I was running a WAY old version because I followed the download link in the email. Silly me!

Brian000

Aviation visual reference engineer
Just so you know, Mike @ LSP and I were discussing the wrong link in the email you get from sales at LSP. That is NOT the latest version! Follow the change log thread on LSP forums.

-Good to know, thanks. Jumping head first into LSP as well. Any reason why they want you to install .NET framework before installing LSP?

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Brian000 said:
Just so you know, Mike @ LSP and I were discussing the wrong link in the email you get from sales at LSP. That is NOT the latest version! Follow the change log thread on LSP forums.

-Good to know, thanks. Jumping head first into LSP as well. Any reason why they want you to install .NET framework before installing LSP?

Im hoping this issue is resolved very soon because the version it links to is very old and is from when David was still programming LSP, since then LSP 64bit and many improvements and fixes have been done that make LSP very stable. Unfortunatly its an access issue to make these changes

As far as installing .NET there are some modules within the LSP program that rely on this

Bill Ellick

Full time elf
I too have just renewed my LSP license to the advanced version. Now I just need to take some time to lay out my display in it and get some quality sequencing time in on it!
I am also playing with HLS as well and I just bought my renewal for LOR with the 2 CCR license.
I have a lot of studying to do in the next few months to say the least as I also picked up a J1Sys P2 unit and have hopes of integrating at least some RGB stuff into this years display as well.

kenlmcse

Lightshowpro Developer
My 2 cents for whatever it is worth....

I have used Vixen, LOR and and now LSP.

LOR is a solid product. It undoubtedly great start for those that are new to lighting effects.

Vixen is homegrown by the community, it has its perks!

Although both offer RGB effects, they both bog down with high channel counts.

LSP has a definite learning curve. But when it comes to RGB and large channel counts there is no comparison!

When I jumped from 3 universes to 14, LOR failed. It could not handle the copy and pasting of simple effects to my pixel tree.

LSP is cut through my 7400 channels like butter. Every effect that I used manually add one grid box at a time to LOR or Vixen is simply highlight the sound, right click and add the effect to the layer.

You want to like LSP, watch the video's. This video from Eddy puts it all together! -> LSP setup on Vimeo

And another thing, the support LSP has given me on an issue I was having was excellent!

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I think the biggest issue is many people dont actually get to where the true power of LSP is before ditching it when trying it out, but if they discover its true power they never go back.

There are many who have gone from LOR to LSP, but none that i know of that have gone from LSP to LOR :D

Bill Ellick

Full time elf
Very true Eddy. I have been an LOR user from the start back in 2008 when I first started doing an animated show for folks.
I had tried LSP back in 2009 to see how it was but back then it was pretty tough to do the light layouts for mini trees, mega trees, and arches as well as the house lights took a bit of finesse to get them right. That and the fact that I was running all LOR controllers made me stick with LOR as it just seemed logical at the time.
Now with RGB "coming of age" it is apparent that LOR will not be able to keep up once the channel count gets up into large numbers which doesn't take long once you start to use intelligent pixels on things. It becomes pretty tough to manage a few hundred or more likely thousands of channels with a mega pixel tree under the LOR format.
So it is time for me at least to "rediscover" the true power of LSP for controlling things for pixels as well as taking a look at some of the other software out there which can do the job as well. Of course now we are starting to see the extreme costs involved with some of the software coming around like Madrix and some of the more commercial stuff that can do this but has been geared more towards large venue shows or for groups to use for concerts and such.
It may turn into a "bang for the buck" style of competition for software producers to come up with a product that appeals enough to the home hobby market as well as the commercial one when considering cost due to the people who are still working on making some software to do this hobby for free (or darn close to it) such as HLS and Nutcracker programs. They have very promising features to consider when looking for a new control software to use with pixels as well as other controllers whether it is Animated Lighting, Renard, Lynx, or whatever people choose to use.
Another chapter in this hobby is opening up and it certainly is going to prove an exciting one as the size of displays increases and the number of channels of items goes up and up.