Evans Central 2013 Display

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Apologies first up for a slightly lengthy post, but I thought I'd start a post that way I can come back to the one spot for all the relevant info for my display, instead of continually forgetting what was said to me in chat :)

After a scaled-down static display for 2012, I plan on going large for 2013. Here's the link to my website to show off my previous accomplishments: http://evanschristmaslights.weebly.com/

For 2013 I plan on having along the gutters my existing Kmart blue LED icicles that I have already cut up and will run off a 27v PSU (ramped up to around 30v) and a AVD48 using only 24 channels. The remaining 24 channels I was hoping to run some White Kmart strings (again, already cut up) to run 3 mini trees out the front.

I have some incan reindeers (static) that are looking dull & tired, as well as a Merry Christmas incan sign woven onto a cloth that is also looking very dull. I guess these would be fairly simple to replace with LEDs and run from a Ray Wu 27ch controller? Thoughts?

I want to introduce RGB strip along the roofline. I own a P2 so I'm after recommendations/advice on which exact strip to buy, but also the size of conduit to mount this onto? I intend on buying zip tie mounts to fix along the roof to hold it into place.

I have some old incan candy canes (static) that I'd like to replce with Coro ones like Eddy's. Whilst the wife likes this effect, she's not too keen on just a plain boring white cane during the middle of the day. Does anyone have any other suggestions to "meet in the middle" here? At the end of the day, its the lights at night that are the starts, not so much the gear holding it all together, imho.

I was also considering having an LED scrolling sign that I can program messages onto. Not sure if I just go out and buy one of these signs (I guess they would be fairly inexpensive now seeing as LED lighting is everywhere now?) or if I should build one from scratch out of pixels?? Thoughts?

I have plenty of other static items both incan & LED that I'm not sure if I keep 240v and static this year or upgrade/replace with DC or pixel. Open to any suggestions based on what you see from the photos on my site.

Cheers in advance ACL!

ԆцряєсϮ

Senior elf
djgra79 said:
I want to introduce RGB strip along the roofline. I own a P2 so I'm after recommendations/advice on which exact strip to buy, but also the size of conduit to mount this onto? I intend on buying zip tie mounts to fix along the roof to hold it into place.

I used 25mm conduit, it holds the weight better

Cheers
Rod

djgra79

Global moderator
Generous elf
Cheers Rod. Where's the best (read: cheapest) place to buy conduit from?
Also, you have Dumb RGB strip, don't you? I'm thinking smart (pixel) strip - any ideas what's good/best?

Christmas on Clarafield

Full time elf
Sounds like a good plan.
I was also considering having an LED scrolling sign that I can program messages onto. Not sure if I just go out and buy one of these signs (I guess they would be fairly inexpensive now seeing as LED lighting is everywhere now?) or if I should build one from scratch out of pixels?? Thoughts?
I got my scrolling sign from ebay here and I'm very happy with it. Its very easy to program and very clear from the road 10m away. Only thing is that its red only and can only do text and about 40 preset effects. If you build one out of pixels you can have any colour and any effect depending on your resolution but then you have to build it and I would guess that it may cost a bit more.

djgra79

Global moderator
Generous elf
pipersmall said:
Sounds like a good plan.
I got my scrolling sign from ebay here and I'm very happy with it. Its very easy to program and very clear from the road 10m away. Only thing is that its red only and can only do text and about 40 preset effects. If you build one out of pixels you can have any colour and any effect depending on your resolution but then you have to build it and I would guess that it may cost a bit more.

Thanks for the link. Yeah I was looking to replicate one of these signs (maybe not quite as big as your one) in pixels so that I could have full RGB control, but not sure how effective it would be. Plus, unsure how I program something like that in LSP?? What would the spacing need to be between pixels and what type of pixels to use?

ԆцряєсϮ

Senior elf
djgra79 said:
Also, you have Dumb RGB strip, don't you? I'm thinking smart (pixel) strip - any ideas what's good/best?

I actually ended up getting mine from bunnings, they were only $2 per bundle dearer than I could get it from the wholesaler anyway. Mind you I don't get the discounts I used to since I've been off the tools.

Bit early to be asking me about pixel strip yet. I'll be replacing most (budget??????) of my dumb strip with pixel this year so we can learn together ;) .

Plenty of time to get the strip yet, who knows whats going to change in the next 4 - 6 months anyway. I'm just planning my new elements at this stage, then I'll build the frames then I'll light em up :D [SIZE=78%] [/SIZE]

djgra79

Global moderator
Generous elf
ԆцряєсϮ said:
djgra79 said:

I actually ended up getting mine from bunnings, they were only $2 per bundle dearer than I could get it from the wholesaler anyway. Mind you I don't get the discounts I used to since I've been off the tools.

Bit early to be asking me about pixel strip yet. I'll be replacing most (budget? ??? ??) of my dumb strip with pixel this year so we can learn together ;) .

Plenty of time to get the strip yet, who knows whats going to change in the next 4 - 6 months anyway. I'm just planning my new elements at this stage, then I'll build the frames then I'll light em up :D

Looking forward to learning together - you make the mistakes first and then I'll get it right 1st time, OK?! :)
Did you use cable ties to then attach the conduit to the roof? I was looking to use 20mm x 20mm cable tie self adhesive mounts like these: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/100-x-Cable-Tie-Mounts-Black-20mm-x-20mm-Self-Adhesive-Free-Postage-/140883029620?pt=AU_B_I_Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item20cd486e74
Then i need the cable ties themselves - what size is appropriate?
Good idea on building the elements first - might do that with my mini trees.

djgra79

Global moderator
Generous elf
tom82 said:
Hi,

For candy canes, try these:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23636370@N03/8156896248/#in/photostream

I bought them for $3 from Walmart in the US, but you can also order them online for a small premium.

I replaced the incan strings with about 10 of Ray's RGB LEDs (the 8mm ones). They look great during the day too.

Thanks Tom. Those look similar to the ones I already have. The pic shows Green or Red LEDs, are they only single colour or RGB and just happened to be that colour when picture was taken? Do you find the colour of the LEDs is affected by the painted on stripes on the canes at night?

ԆцряєсϮ

Senior elf
Yep I used those mounts as well. I just siliconed (Sikaflex) them on first then used cable ties.
I find the ties I use the most of are 4mm x 200mm, these will cover most things if not just double them up.
Also make sure you get UV resistant (Black) ones. And be careful as not all black ones are UV resistant.
Buy them in bulk as you can never have too many. I get them in bags of 1000.
Use the black ones on any elements that will be reused each year whereas you can get away with using white if its only for mounting of an element as they will generally last the 4 - 6 weeks theyll be out in the sun. I'm gonna leave my tie mounts on the roof till next year as theyre black on black tiles so will be interested to see if they hold up.
Mistakes??, I don't make mistakes. I like to refer to those as research. :p