Evans Central 2020

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Been a while since I've posted on here my display progress and I've done a bit already this year so thought I'd share.
Last year I bought a sleigh and 2x reindeer from @Troy ELD but ran out of time and funds to get them all loaded with pixels and into the display. I only managed to get the sleigh painted and fitted with pixels and sat it in front of our bedroom window:

So mere hours into 2020 I placed an order with Ray and then got the deer painted up and filled with nodes:

I also added 2x more of my spare metal Kmart stars, so now will have 6x in total to place near my front door:

Along with the sleigh & deer, I also bought a few different stars last year. I have a few of the smaller ones filled ready to go, but this year I populated the larger stars:

TBC...

djgra79

Global moderator
Generous elf
As most of these new props would be mounted on the roof I wanted to ensure they would be very secure and safe. So I bought some C channel aluminium and used this as framework behind the props to create legs.

I then purchased some solar panel bracket mounts and secured these to the roof. I needed to grind off a little clearance from a couple of tiles but the roof which is normal for this type of installation. I could then bolt on some scrap timber beams I had lying around from a house reno we did a few years back (painted up black of course)

It was then time to mount the props to the support timber. I had to notch out on an angle so the props would stand near upright, to compensate for the pitch of the roof. I used 3mm aluminium flat bar as back supports, secured underneath the roof battens with a screw.

Happy with the final result. The large stars also have their own brackets and timber support beams but no angled back flat bar brace.

TBC..

djgra79

Global moderator
Generous elf
Next new addition are some column matrix panels to cover the brick areas across the front of the house, replacing the flood lights I have used previously.
These are 36h x 12w = 432 pixels each x 4 columns.
I cut the panels to correct height then use cableties to secure to a conduit frame:

I'll post future progress later in the year, but feel free to ask any tech questions you may have :)

Dreamin

Full time elf
Looks amazing mate, a lot of work and effort there with great results! :) The sleigh and reindeer look great!

I've used 75 pixabulbs to create a column like your, not as dense but they will do for my first year! and 10W floods which aren't that bright on the garage door.