Experimenting on weekend

DrNeutron

Just starting in this crazy hobby
Love HLS for facial animations, I don't think there is a program out there that does it better.
In fact, I spent most of the weekend creating different mouths for use in animation for Halloween ( I am adding a few channels for Teeth and tongue).
Here is an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=409NRQPX_4k
I find it very inexpensive to use dollar store construction paper, hot glue and some dumb RGB. Coro makes a good diffuser... This will look much better when there is an actual face lit up...
You are only limited by your imagination......

logandc99

Dedicated elf
That looks great. So are you using the dollar store construction paper as the framework for the facial features and attaching the lights to it? If so does it hold up to the weight of the lights when stood up or do you glue it the the Coro board to give it strength ?

DrNeutron

Just starting in this crazy hobby
Yes.
I am just prototyping some new designs, my plan is to use either plywood as backing or all coro (definitely coro for sides and front).
The construction paper makes it easy to throw something together quickly and see how it looks. I used construction paper as the backing and just cut strips of the black construction paper to segregate the mouth positions. This is just to give me an idea of what looks good and what doesn't. The real trick is in assigning what channels to create the mouth positions. HLS makes this easy to do as you can assign the channels for each phoneme and see how it looks and if it doesn't look correct, you can just re-assign the channels and then HLS will regenerate the lighting channels (one gotcha is to ensure you clear the channel effects for those channels first before regeneration).
I think this will look even better once I draw out a face and light that up as well.

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Thanks for showing that. It's got me thinking about how I can update my singing face with something lighter and RGB. I made my singing face with eight sets of white lights from Bunnings in a pegboard. Now while it has worked really well for two years, it is quite big and heavy and a few lights are starting to go out. It is also not rain friendly. So your idea looks quite appealing.