F16v3 and CMB16 v4 Controller

Renzo1975

New elf
Hi All,

I've been running a show for the last 4 yrs with xlights (F16v3 and FPP) and have found a LOR board (CMB16 v4).
I know how to connect it to the f16v3 but do not know how to configure it to turn on and off some dumb. floods and RGB lights my inlaw got me from Bunnings lol.
Apparently I need a USB thing to connect to my PC to either update or get some settings done before I do it, although I've read I can set it up through xlights as well.
I initially set a switch to show LOR and the status light was just red, showing apparently connected, but when I go to xlights to add a controller, it doesn't know what to add and there are no options for my stupid board lol.
I'm usually good with this thing but just want it to work without having to buy some $50 adapter for a quick config lol..
Happy for a DM or chat or reply here if someone is available to explain it like I'm 5 lol..
Hard to ask for help but it gets to the stage where I'm ready to toss it lol...

Thank you.

Regards,
Renzo.

merryoncherry

Senior elf
You probably don't need to do any config if you are only running one. They have a "Unit ID" which typically correlates with the base DMX addresss, 1->1, 2->17, 3->33, etc. Unless you got one used and someone set the unit ID to something other than 1, you should be able to move the jumpers on the falcon to LoR (sounds like you already did this if you have link?), plug it in, and it would respond to DMX over channel 1-16, one dim value per channel. Putting On/Off effects on those 16 channels ought to just do it.

I suppose if you have an old LoR you have to update the firmware, but it has been many years since they made one without DMX support.

Renzo1975

New elf
Hi.
Thanks for that. I have moved Falcon jumpers to LOR yes and plugged in - only thing is I dont' know how to get it to see the other channels ie: how to output on the other channels.. I'll have a play around and if I get stuck, maybe reply here again...
Thank you...

merryoncherry

Senior elf
In xLights you can do something somewhat fancy, or somewhat simple, but the method is similar.

The fancy solution, props that in light up in the preview: Add an "Image" (looks like reindeer). Choose the controller. Assign image and place on layout. Ensure string properties is "Single Color". Under "Controller Connection" pick DMX. Port 1. Channel is 1-16 for LoR unit 1, for plugs 1-16.

A bit simpler is to make a string of 16... You'd still pick the controller, the "Controller Connection" is still 'dmx' Port 1... start channel 1.\
Ensure string properties is node single color.
ControllerConn.png

At the end, check the visualizer to make sure whatever you did looks right.
Serial.png

Renzo1975

New elf
Got ti. Thank you.
Tried to plug in my 12v 5w led floodlight and it just came on and didn't go off lol.
Didn't even get the chance to set it up in Xlights so not sure what I did wrong there.
I have saved the above setup in xlights so thank you so much for that. I'm wondering if I need to make them all set to DMX (f16v3 jumpers) for it to then work like as above possibly? - wonder if that's why it just stayed on lol

merryoncherry

Senior elf
It is possible I am wrong about this board taking DMX. I hadn't considered 14-15 year old boards... Where did it come from? Is it in an enclosure with power supply and all of that? The board I was thinking of is this https://www1.lightorama.com/Documents/CMB16D-QC_UserMan_Web.pdf - which definitely takes DMX. As does CMB24D. But the CMB16D... from 2008, doesn't (but it says V3 and you have V4...)

The jumpers on the Falcon only determine whether the DMX port uses the CAT5 orange wires (DMX standard pinout) or the blue wires (LoR variant pinout that allows telephone cable to work). The firmware in LoRs from the last 10 years will pick up on whether it is a DMX or LoR protocol coming in.

I would say if you have one old enough that it doesn't do DMX, and it isn't in a nice enclosure and all, you'd be better off getting a more recent board because a LoR adapater is more expensive than a board. If it does have a nice enclosure, then look for a board the same size :)...

Renzo1975

New elf
Hey,
According to the manual, it should do DMX and it's just the board and a power supply I've hooked up to the f16v3 correct port and all.
I chose DMX but wasn't sure what the original owner had chosen... can't recall who either :-(
Not sure what to do here lol.. but your serial DMX thingy looked like it was going to ...

MX protocol support (ESTA/LOR DMX wiring adapter required :-(

Thanks anyway...

merryoncherry

Senior elf
No, you don't need the wiring adapter. Those jumpers on the F16 do the adapting, to use the blue vs orange pair on the cable. I'd give it one more try with protocol set to 'lor'.

Renzo1975

New elf
Ok.
I connected everything up and every way I try, nothing happens lol..
Although the lights do work when plugged into normal 24v... AND when I turn the control box off, the lights cycle right at the end - so they are capable of getting power - it's just how to access and which port lol...Might dig deeper post Christmas when people are more available lol..
Thank you tho :)