Answered f16v3 port issues

bpratt

Senior elf
I've recently discovered an issue with my f16 where ports have stopped working.

Initially I plugged in a connector on port 10, with it slightly offset, with the data pin of the connector going to to v+, and the ground on the connector going in to the socket third one in.

Finding that port not working I then started plugging that cable in to the next few ports, with the prop not lighting up.

So today I went down with my test pixel, and plugged it in to all of those ports, with it not lighting up, then I tried another port and it then worked. So then I plugged in the same prop, and it didn't work, so unplugged it, then tried out my test pixel in to that port, and the pixel did not light up.

Checked out all the fuses, and all the led's are lit up indicating that it hasn't blown a fuse. :(

I've also noticed that the little led display is not working anymore too. the OLED was in power save mode that I didn't realise at the time.

Last edited:

BAZMick

Full time elf
Generous elf
That's no good! Somebody else had something similar happen last week. Hope you get it sorted quickly.
Cheers Bazzy

Derf

am now a 5v hypocrite
Perhaps you could supply a photo.

The other thing that can happen is your pigtail from the controller to the pixels. Eliminate one item at a time starting with the pig tail going through to the extension cable and finally the bundle of pixels them selves. Its definitely not the first or the last time that a cable has been switched over in manufacturing.

Also just making sure that the board is powered on both sides

bpratt

Senior elf
this is a prop that was working fine last year, and if I remember right it worked when I took it out of storage on a 12v battery and pixel tester.

As I said, I put that same prop on different outputs to try and make it work, but I think I just did more harm to the f16.

Going to do a factory reset on it tomorrow to see if that might make a difference.

Also going to read that other thread again, but I think mine is a different issue.

I'll take a photo too, but I'm not sure what that's going to show, other than what I've already described.

BAZMick

Full time elf
Generous elf
Try a different pixel string after reset. Maybe something shorted between data and v+ in the string when you had it plugged in offset. I noticed that last weekend too that you can accidentally connect the plug offset, luckily for me by the sounds of it I hadn't made any electrical contact between the plug and socket.
Maybe also check for continuity between v+ and data, v+ and v-, and v- and data before trying that string again, make sure it's not going to be a problem. Pixels are cheap, controllers aren't.

TerryK

Retired Elf
If by "little LED display is not working" you mean the F16's OLED display then something beyond the controller's output latch ICs have probably been damaged. The finding a good port with the test pixel followed by the prop and then again the test pixel and the port no longer functioning indicates that one or more of the pixels in the prop are damaged as well. And apparently to a point where the prop is/can cause damage exterior to itself.

For the controller I suggest removing all of the output connections and powering the controller to determine if the Power LED will illuminate. It's your choice but I would configure the controller for External Power to have the pixel supplies out of the picture. I would also try both 12 volt and 5 volt to see if the board's voltage regulator board is alive. At this point, if the Power LED does not illuminate then the controller is probably in need of repair.
During power on keep aware of burning component smells and a light finger tip touch can be used to detect overly warm components; both bad indicators.

For the prop I would say the first pixel is definitely gone. The way you described it, 12 volts was applied to the prop data line. It will be an educated guess on how far into the prop the damage goes.

And a couple last thoughts... The Falcon F16 has 4 output Latch ICs, and each IC controls 4 ports. Which ICs control which ports I do not know, perhaps another ACL individual does, so what exact ports no longer work? The Latch ICs being socketed can be replaced if one can determine there is no damage to the controller beyond the Latch ICs.

bpratt

Senior elf
the OLED was only in power saving mode, which I didn't realise at the time, so just had to press the display button to wake it up.

I swapped over the socketted chips, and that made no difference.

Later on today I'll try a factory reset on the board, which is a hold down a button and apply power I think.

All the led's near the fuses are lighting up though.

Derf

am now a 5v hypocrite
Definately try the factory reset it will reset all the ports back to 50 pixels per port and you can do a test from there. If you had it working last year it might of been configured for specific or no pixel outputs for some ports.

Let us know how you go after the reset!

bpratt

Senior elf
Good news, the factory reset seems to have fixed it. :D

there were more than enough pixels configured to that port when I did try it though.

Thanks to everyone for the idea, Darrylc was the first to suggest that one, but clearly good minds think alike. !

Got my 270 pixel star down off the tree, now to investigate what has got it upset.

Benslights

Dedicated elf
It is like everything a good reset fixes most issues. Also if Darryl suggested it way back in the beginning. He has been selling these units for a long time and knows his stuff.