Failure Rate?

DeeJai

Is that Magic Smoke?!?
ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:
One thing i did have happen with the 2811 strip is that each section is actually part of a bigger section and these sections are soldered together. I had the solder join pull apart, but that was more my doing (well my son really) by applying to much force on the strip and stretching to hard.

Matt the section that needs to be held with pressure is easy fixes, just do a small cut long ways in the strip tube for that sexrion so the cover can be peeled baxk then just run a soldering iron across the chip and componenets and this should resolder any damaged solder joints.

But if we compare the failure rate to our old traditional incands or LEDs then the rate is still way low.

my initial (whilst display is going) fix for the pressure was some electrical tape wrapped fairly firmly around strip at that location.

The tape has also been left on the so i can fix it when my work area is finally setup.

But I like the fix idea. saves me cutting complete and resoldering the entire pieces.

cheers

robj

New elf
Made an order recently where I bought 4 strips of the 12V 2811 where the ic controls 3 [/size]5050 RGB pixels. Two strips were perfect. One was dead for the 1st third then picked up working. How is that happening?

The second strip good with the exception of one set of 3 pixels lost red. I can flex the strip and get them back, so assume the solder trick will work. How do you reseal the plastic tube once you make your cut and fix?

Any suggestions for the strip with the really bad outage?

Thanks - newbie Rob.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
robj said:
Made an order recently where I bought 4 strips of the 12V 2811 where the ic controls 3 5050 RGB pixels. Two strips were perfect. One was dead for the 1st third then picked up working. How is that happening?

The second strip good with the exception of one set of 3 pixels lost red. I can flex the strip and get them back, so assume the solder trick will work. How do you reseal the plastic tube once you make your cut and fix?

Any suggestions for the strip with the really bad outage?

Thanks - newbie Rob.

I use 10 to 12mm clear heat shrink which i slide over the section then add a dab of non corrosive neatral cure silicone and then shrink and clear away any excess silicone that may come out when the heat shrink shrinks, has worked for many a repair over the years, make sure the silicone makes a good seal as the heat shrink alone wont stop the moisture from getting in