Falcon Controller F16v4 Stock

corfoto4

Apprentice elf
Hi everyone!

I have been regularly checking the PixelControler website selling falcon controllers. Supposedly the F16v3 board will be shipping on the 21st of March. Does anyone know if and when the F16v4 will be in stock? I would rather get the new board because the new revisions would better suit me in my Christmas set-up this year.

Thanks!

corfoto4

Apprentice elf
Would it be worth my while just getting the F16v3 in case there is never any stock for the F16v4?

My plan was to buy 2 F16v4s and then buy expansion boards as I need because they are always in stock.
I sent david@pixelcontroller.com emails previously but have never had a reply to any. But I could imagine the difficulties he would be going through to one deal with the emails that he is receiving and trying to get stock of the controllers.

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
Welcome to ACL @corfoto4 .
Chip shortages because of COVID-19 related delays have greatly affected the pixel hobby.

David (Falcon) has been struggling to get the right computer/processor chips to make more.
F16v3 VS F16v4 is your choice on whether you want to wait or buy what ever you can. What ever comes in stock, trend is that they sell out in a few days.

An alternative to Falcon, if they ever come in stock, is Kulp boards. The capes (Kulp devices) are usually in stock but the computer they plug into (Beagle Bone) is having similar chip shortages causing manufacturing delays.

Another option is an ESP32 or ESP8266 and flash WLED onto it. It does a few thousands pixels each but has no where near the capability of a Falcon/Kulp.
It's WiFi so be aware of issues with multiple of these things running, unless you get the Ethernet version.

corfoto4

Apprentice elf
Thanks, Mark_M.

I have just bought myself an ESP32 as a tester. However, I do not have much knowledge of how they work. I want to build a mega tree with a total of 3200 LEDs (as well as some other smaller props). From what I worked out it would require 7 ESP32 boards for the tree and star alone. I do have solutions to deal with any WiFi issues that may arise so I am not worried about that aspect.

Do you know of any places where I could find more information on how to go about using ESPs? I.e. a YouTube video or such?

Thanks!

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
Do you know of any places where I could find more information on how to go about using ESPs? I.e. a YouTube video or such?
IntermitTech is probably the best for DigUno's, DigQuads, these are ESP based boards that he makes.

I do have to say holly-crap at a first project for 3,200 pixel tree. That is a massive undertaking in a first year.

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Welcome to ACL corfoto4.
Have a scroll through this database and thread to see what members re currently running for megatrees. Looks like 2/24 responses are using a v4 despite being available last year, so you may want to weigh up do you NEED the features and functions that the v4 offers over the v3?

corfoto4

Apprentice elf
Thank you all.

I will have some more investigation into the different options. I notice that the Beaglebone Black board is in stock but none of the pixel headers. Hopefully, I will be able to find a header and that may be a good option for me.

I know the 3,200-pixel mega tree is very ambitious. However, I have been planning to build a display for over 2 years now and I have done a tonne of research over that time. It is something that once I have successfully built it and made it work, I can step back and appreciate the effort and work that I have put my time into.

Hanson Electronics have a Beaglebone header in stock on their website. Are those headers any good compared to Kulp?

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
Hanson Electronics have a Beaglebone header in stock on their website. Are those headers any good compared to Kulp?
There is some quirks about them.
Dan Kulp (who makes Kulp boards) is also the main developer of FPP (Falcon Pi Player). So for Dan Kulp, it's in his interests to make Kulp boards work as well as possible.
Hanson boards seem to be configured like another controller, a lot more manual setup.

corfoto4

Apprentice elf
What about software? Do I need to install anything on the Beaglebone to make it work?

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
The HE123Mk2 works the same as the FPP cape RGBcape48 Type F and can be configured as that or as the Hanson Electronics HE123. Currently there's an issue with FPP and/or Xlights when configured as the HE123 where instead of uploading the correct type it changes it to a Kulp board that's not compatible. It's a 20s fix to manually change it to the correct board. It is on my to do list to put a board ID file in the EEPROM on the HE123Mk2 so that it will be detected correctly by Xlights/FPP. Currently I have zero time for development and testing and all my available time is going into making and shipping. The HE123 has 16 onboard pixel outputs each fused with 7.5A fuses and can be expanded to 48 if the 2 daughterboards are added. It also has 4 pixel outputs per power input meaning that each output can directly power about 140 pixels at 100% brightness. The Kulp and Falcon pixel boards are all 1 30A input to 8 5A fused outputs and can only directly power about 70 pixels per output at 100% brightness.
The Falcon F16 V3 and V4 can do multiple different pixel types (WS281x, WS2801 etc) whereas the Kulp and my boards will only control WS281x compatible pixels. The Kulp boards and mine require the addition of a BeagleBone Black (or Green which aren't in stock) and Falcon Player added onto the BBB as it's operating system.

Baron

Apprentice elf
I would keep looking at the falcon site. I bought one about a week and a half ago. Guess there was a limited supply release. I checked daily couple times a day and one finally dropped. Keep looking.