Falcon F16V3 Won't Boot

Ambarta

New elf
Hey Guys,

I've just recently purchased an F16v3, two expansion boards, An F48, and 4 Smart receivers.
My F16V3 will not boot, no matter what I do. Connected 12v too the V2 input. All modes selected correctly (12v v2 input)
When I power up, all the fuses light up along the bottom green, but the controller itself does not boot. (except fuse 15 which i have no idea how it blew - the port hasn't been touched, but i've replaced now)
My F48 boots perfectly, so I don't think there is any issue with my wiring/board handling, but this is my first year, i easily could be wrong.

I've attached two photos, of the board and power supply.

I've also chatted with Daryl and he advised others may be able to help before I send the board back over to him.

Thanks

Attachments

• board 1.jpg
    board 1.jpg
    463.2 KB · Views: 109
  • board 2.jpg
    board 2.jpg
    579.5 KB · Views: 95

burnt

Full time elf
do u have 5v psu .. to test if it will run off 5volt.

also looking at the pic, mite wont to remove the little pcb just next to the input switch and refit.

Last edited:

Katekate

Senior elf
stick a meter on your psu and make sure its putting out the right voltage

reseat the regulator as burnt mentioned.

TerryK

Retired Elf
First, your photo shows the unit powered while placed on top of an anti-static bag. Anti-static materials are conductive albeit slightly. When testing electronics, one needs to insure that the work surface is non-conductive. With that, the regulator board does appear a bit crooked. I'd try KateKate's suggestion first and then burnt's. You might also try powering the unit externally. In either case I'd stick with 5V if possible. Good luck.

Ambarta

New elf
I've checked it with a 5v Power supply and ran a meter over the power supplies to make sure they are both 12 and 5v respectively.

Which pcb is this? i'm quite new to this, so how would i go about removing and reseating? Apologies for the noob questions, my circuitry knowledge is quite primitive and just trying to expand it on the fly.

burnt

Full time elf
when testing with 5volt did u switch the power input switch to 5 volt.. aslo the littlpcb is next to the switch

Ambarta

New elf
It's sitting on a piece of foam in between the static bag also. Also did work with a wrist strap.

Ambarta

New elf
Yeah made sure it was on both V2 and 5v and ext power and 5v respectively. Tryed both inputs.

Dreamin

Full time elf
In the manual is says
  • My Screen is Blank
    • Try pressing one of the buttons below the OLED screen. The screen saving mode may be active.
    • Please reset controller to factory defaults using “Factory Reset” procedure.
So maybe try a factory reset? Does the nextwork port flash when you connect it to the network? Maybe it's powered but the display is DOA, or the firmware is buggy and needs reflashed.

This process is used to reset all settings set by the user on the controller. This does not reset the firmware.
Perform the following steps:
  1. Power off your controller and wait at least 20 seconds before proceeding.
  2. Hold down the “Select” button. Keep holding it down while applying power to the controller.
  3. Keep holding down the “Select Button” until you see Status LED1 and LED2 rapidly blink together and the OLED Display will display “Resetting Controller”
  4. Release the “Select Button”, the controller will reboot with the default settings.

Last edited:

TerryK

Retired Elf
I had noticed the power LED not on but 'Dreamin' saw and mentioned it before I could post about it (good catch Dreamin). There is a manual available on Falcon's website which will help one understand the various parts of the controller and while somewhat fundamental in nature, the manual also has a troubleshooting section.

I looked again at your posted photo and did not see any apparent scorched or burnt components but the blown fuse is a puzzle and makes me wonder if the unit was previously powered. Be that as it may, I suggest creating an email with the board symptoms, what you have tried, and sending that to David at Falcon to get his take on it.

Benslights

Dedicated elf
have you tried the external power option??? look at page 8 of the Manual for more info as it is worth a try

Ambarta

New elf
In the manual is says
  • My Screen is Blank
    • Try pressing one of the buttons below the OLED screen. The screen saving mode may be active.
    • Please reset controller to factory defaults using “Factory Reset” procedure.
So maybe try a factory reset? Does the nextwork port flash when you connect it to the network? Maybe it's powered but the display is DOA, or the firmware is buggy and needs reflashed.

This process is used to reset all settings set by the user on the controller. This does not reset the firmware.
Perform the following steps:
  1. Power off your controller and wait at least 20 seconds before proceeding.
  2. Hold down the “Select” button. Keep holding it down while applying power to the controller.
  3. Keep holding down the “Select Button” until you see Status LED1 and LED2 rapidly blink together and the OLED Display will display “Resetting Controller”
  4. Release the “Select Button”, the controller will reboot with the default settings.

I can't do a factory reset, as that requires that side of the board to be powered unfortunately.
Network port does not flash, it just seems that there is no power on that side of the board, power leds don't light up either.

I tried an external 5v power supply (the one i'm using on my f48 currently, so i know it's good. Set toggles to 5v and ext power, still nothing.
There has never been a single set of pixels connected to port 15, so i have absolutely no idea how that happened. I do have a new fuse in there now.

To reseat the pcb @burnt mentioned. is that just a matter of unsoldering the 3 pins from underneath the board and simply resitting it there and soldering back in ?

I'm a little out of ideas here and it's quite frustrating as I completely trust that daryl tested all boards as they arrived, so I feel its something i'm doing wrong but I just can't work out what.