Falcon f48 NS IP Address keeps changing

dannyp

Full time elf
HI I have a falcon f48 NS where the up address is set to 192.168.1.2. Every 2nd or 3rd time that I power up the controller, the IP address randomly changes to 192.168.1.3 so Xscheduler can’t connect and doesn’t control lights. So i go in and change the ip address in Xlights and it is fine, but then after a few days where it works fine, the up address on the controller goes back to 192.168.1.2. Anybody have any idea what is going on, or better still how I stop it?

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
Likely your Falcon is set to DHCP for getting an IP address from your router.
Your home router assigns an IP address to the Falcon, this IP address number expires after so many hours or when you disconnect your controller. That's just how DHCP works, so that a router isn't needing to remember potentially thousands of devices that many never connect back again (like many phones connecting to free WiFi at a shopping centre which never connect back again).

Two options;
  • Set a static IP address on the Falcon. The Falcon will ignore an IP address the router is trying to give it.
  • Set an IP reservation in your router.
Easiest is setting a static IP address on your Falcon. I would suggest choosing a high number in the range (e.g. 192.168.1.205). This is because setting a static IP on the Falcon could mean an IP address conflict if your router assigns the exact IP address to another device connected to your router (e.g. a computer).

The best place to set a static IP in your router. This tells the router to remember your Falcon and always give it the same IP address. This is an IP address reservation. It varies between brands/models of router how this is done.