Fan for controller box

flash11

New elf
Probably a stupid question.....but regarding the 12v fan in the photo....do I just cut off the connection at the end and attach directly to the PSU? Or is there a better method.

Attachments

• IMG_8679.jpg
    IMG_8679.jpg
    638.5 KB · Views: 3

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
I usually do as you've suggested, red pos and black neg diectly to PSU, that way its always on once the PSU/enclosure is powered up.
EDIT: I also crimp a fork connector to the wire. Loose wires near a PSU no matter how thin is asking for trouble.

Last edited:

DarkwinX

Full time elf
My fan wires were really thin. I usually use crimp connectors when attaching to a PSU but in this case the wires were too small.

I grabbed some wago (or knockoff) connectors and then used some thicker wire to make the final connection with the crimp connectors. It may be the long way around but it works!

The other option is if you have a power distribution board you can use that to run your fan.

Johnnyboy

Full time elf
Yup, cut and join to power supply.

I use a small crimp connection for tiny wires. Seems to work well

vk3heg

Full time elf
These types of fans witch are normally used in computer cases, will run full bore if they don't receive a signal on the yellow cable... So just cut or de solder it.

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
These types of fans witch are normally used in computer cases, will run full bore if they don't receive a signal on the yellow cable... So just cut or de solder it.
If it's a 3 wire one with the yellow, 99% of the time that's a sense line - to feed the RPM back to the computer. They will always run at 100%, and are not controllable.
Four wire fans are PWM controlled - which then operate at full speed without the PWM slowing it down.
1696166934667.png
Source- https://www.analog.com/en/analog-dialogue/articles/how-to-control-fan-speed.html
Figure 2 shows the above, and the section under 'Fan Types' describes it in more detail.