Fasteddys Colour Coro Candles - Basic Instructions

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
One of the elements i added this year that was a hit with my display was my colour coro candles, these worked far better than I expected and I was happy with the results. Ive had many requests on doing a how to for these so here it is

First the Video

Fasteddys Coro Candles

The parts used per candle

1: 1 x 1220 x 2440 sheet of 5mm corex ( it doesn't matter what size sheet is used as long as it meets the size you need.)
2: 30 x RGB Rectangular Pixels modules (you can also use pixel strip instead)
3: 2 x 4 pin Male and Female plugs
4: Hot Glue and Silicone
5: 4 core 14/020 security cable
6: 5 x Plastic wall screws

[attachimg=1]

Basic Instructions

1: Measure and mark out your corex sheet to the dimensions you require using the template shown

[attachimg=2]

2: Cut out the shape of the candle and flame from the corex as shown above. The red is the cut marks, the green lines are for 1/2 cut marks to create the bends
3: Create the bends/corners by only cutting the outer bend/corner and leaving the inner bend/corner intact (this is much easier if you use a coro cutter that allows for bend cuts)
4: Create the flame sides by cutting a straight piece of corex to suit and then cutting the outer corex sheet so you can create the smooth bend in the flame wall.
5: Hot glue in place the bottom part of the flame with the walls leaving the top off so the modules can be added
6: Create a string of 8 modules with a male plug and mount to the bottom of the coro flame with silicone/hot glue.
7: Hot glue the top to the coro flame to complete the flame.
8: Create 2 strings of 11 modules (or use strip) with a male plug for the input of the first string/strip and a female plug for the end of the second string/strip. Connect the two strings with 4 core security cable so that the 2 rows of modules/strip are connected in a Z formation
9: Mount the 2 rows of 11 modules or strip as shown in the below picture with hot glue or silicone.

[attachimg=3]

10: Bend the corex to create the 'candle stick' box
11: Use 5 x plastic wall screws to hold the box together.
12: Connect the flame cable to the output cable of the 'candle stick' box
13: Silicone/hot glue the flame in place
14: Connect up to any controller that supports the pixel IC type used
15: I used the twinkle effect in Lightshow pro for my flame effect

[attachimg=4]

So that is the basic construction of the colour coro candles which were are a great addition to my display in 2011

Attachments

• candle 1.JPG
    candle 1.JPG
    265.7 KB · Views: 1,377
  • candles.jpg
    candles.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 1,368
  • candle 2.JPG
    candle 2.JPG
    244.6 KB · Views: 1,366
  • Candle 3.JPG
    Candle 3.JPG
    244.7 KB · Views: 1,367
  • Candle Dimensions Drawing.zip
    52.2 KB · Views: 97

Benslights

Dedicated elf
job well done eddy and thanks for sharing with us all how you make all these things. great video footage of the candles up close and personal makes it clear in everyones minds how you have done it all.

thanks again Eddy

Bird

LOR user
Yes very nice job Eddy. That's what is so great about this site, everyone shares in such nice ways.
Like all the details and close ups, and the music is so peaceful, makes you want to build lots of them. :)

cenote

Suburbs of Philadelphia
Ditto from all the above. Starting to think I know where all the coro being made is being shipped to :) gee, I hope you left a little brain space for designing some stuff for this year

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
mmais68569 said:
Eddy

What controller are you using on the candles?
Mike

I actually used the LOR CCR controllers in DMX mode running 6803 modules. I had a few of these from CCRs that i ran with a E680 controller instead which was my matrix and top gutter. This allowed for the candles to be stand alone elements with their own pixel controller. The RGB arrangement was different but i just easily changed this in LightShow Pro.

Timon

Apprentice elf
I love these an there will be at least four of them in my 2012 display.

Did you run the two rows of pixel modules in parallel since each module at each level would be doing the same thing? Same with the flame?

I'm thinking to maybe try making one half round by slitting the coro to curve it like David Moore's eve diffusers.

Speaking of David, I'd love to see him kit these if he's interested and you have no objections.

dmoore

Senior elf
Timon said:
I'm thinking to maybe try making one half round by slitting the coro to curve it like David Moore's eve diffusers.

Speaking of David, I'd love to see him kit these if he's interested and you have no objections.
I could offer up a design like this fairly quickly since it would just be an adaptation of an older product of ours. I do like your idea of a curved face and that would be a simple change.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Jeffk13057 said:
Sorry to be so late with the question, but what mechanism are you using to keep them upright and not fall over?

Thanks,
JK

I used cut joining ends of the conduit that were hammered into the ground, the conduit on the candy cane would then just slip into the conduit join. This made it easy to remove and refit when cutting the lawn

gsxr7500

New elf
Timon said:
I love these an there will be at least four of them in my 2012 display.

Did you run the two rows of pixel modules in parallel since each module at each level would be doing the same thing? Same with the flame?

The only problem i see with curving is when you cut it and bend it the coro becomes very weak. You will then have to put dividers in to brace it which you will see the dividers through the coro when lit creating dark spots. Thats just my opinion.