faulty dmx pixel controller?

scamper

Dedicated elf
I bought a couple of these from ray for testing purposes as I am going into pixels this year.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/DC5V-input-DMX-to-WS2811-SPI-Converter-512-channel-output-max170-pixels-controlled/1019363088.html
I hooked one of them up to a set of strings I also purchased and couldn't get it to work. The power led lit up but nothing from the output. I checked all of my wiring, supply pushed all the buttons, but still nothing.
Fearing the string was a different chip, I tried another set, this time led modules. Still nothing. I tried strips. and again nothing.
I then changed controllers, and there it is, all working as it should.
Now I am going to assume there is a fault with the controller, but as I was always told never assume, I decided to ask here before going back to Ray and telling him it is faulty.
Is there anything that I need to know about these controllers, ie do they have a reset or anything that may stop it working baring in mind I am not using an input, only demo mode.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Did you at any stage plug in the lights when power was on, these cheap controllers have a habit of blowing the output when connected with power on. Ive had a few in the past of similar cost fail because of that reason.

scamper

Dedicated elf
No, I am a stickler for that. I worked in the electronic industry for 30+ years and it was hammered into me right at the start.
Worst I did was blew up a micro in a video years ago by shorting it out with my watch, so haven't worn a watch since 8)

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Im not sure if these use a programmer for changing start channels and pixel type or if it is missing the program.

I wonder if he sent the correct controller out, he may have sent out the controller for the WS2801 instead of the 2811, which looking at the name description it appears that there is a good chance that this is what could have happened here. Do you have any 4 wire 2801 to test on this to confirm.

scamper

Dedicated elf
I will pull it apart and check. on the cover it is marked as the one I want, but I have found the info on how to change them, so will do that later this week.