First Christmas show using xLights - what pixel controller best suits my intended layout?

Martys

New elf
Not sure if I should post this here or in another thread. This is what I am wanting to achieve roughly for my first Lightshow using Xlights. As you can see I have already a heap of LED's which I ran using a raspberrypi and switched the low voltage through the relays. Now from what I think I have learnt I need to look into getting a low voltage DC controller for my LED"S and I will need some Pixel light controllers for the matrix, (I hope to get 2 up and running but will depend on cost) Mega tree, the mini trees, stockings, and roof outline will all be pixels.
Now the million dollar question with the bulk purchasing of boards happening, (F16V3 F48 E1.31 etc) are any of them going to be ok for me to use with this setup? I would also like the ability to be able to add more stuff if time and finances allows for this up and coming Christmas. Thanks in advance for and help given.

House layout.png

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
The Falcon Controllers will be Ok for that setup, whether the F16V3 or F48 or one of those with some expansion boards, hopefully a falcon controller guru will drop in and give you an idea.

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
Why not get a Pixlite controller from Advatek, they are Australian and thats what I use for all my lights. Awesome costumer service and local support.

bretheron

Been bitten by the bug.
Why not get a Pixlite controller from Advatek, they are Australian and thats what I use for all my lights. Awesome costumer service and local support.
Totally agree, i use a few of them. Always do your research though as apples aint apples and as long as you are using all the same pixel IC

You could run the entire show with 1 controller on most of 16/32/40 port controllers.

I always look at physical area grouping, what I can get out of a controller and for future expansion. I also look at power supply requirements for the lights, controllers and physically running the cables.

You also have a Pi, so that opens up more options and food for thought with controllers.

TANSA

Sparky with Blinky Lights ;-)
Generous elf
I use PixLite as well. (Just purchased a f16 to see what all the fuss is about) but I do love my PixLite 4 and 16.
was considering using a PixLite 16 long range (main hub) and the boards that plug into it, from memory they can be a very very long distance away.
To me PixLite is a commercial grade which means it will last and last.
All the Falcon user out there use the PixLite boards only support 1 type of pixel per board ( just use all PixLite 4’s if you use different types).
But in reality how many do use anything other than WS2811, so that old argument is not really relevant as I use all ws2811 other than dumb RGB which is of a DMX controller that comes off the PixLite controller.
But everybody is allowed to have their own opinion.

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
I will give you an example of how good Advatek customer service is. I had a Pixlite 16 Mk II that I bought but didn’t get around to using it, I sent an email to Advatek to see if I could swap it for a long range as I changed my plans and I was happy to pay extra as I had the Pixlite 16 for 14 months. Advatek had no issue swapping for a Long Range and didn’t charge me anything. Being local you can get a board at any time too. I also thought I had an issue with another board and asked them how much to test and they said they would test it for free. I have a big show and only use WS2811, so they are perfect for me.

Last edited:

bretheron

Been bitten by the bug.
I just like to suggest that people investigate so they end up with what is perfect for them.

There is a lot to take in.