First home-made decoration (dove)

Iain

Full time elf
Hi all,

This is my first home-made design--a dove. Would like your thoughts.

So far I have had some trouble drilling through the corflute because it is so messy. As you can see there's a lot of blowout that is very time consuming to cut away. I thought that a giant hole punch would be better than a drill, any suggestions?

I've found an 11mm bit is a perfect size to hold the pixels. The fit really snug and wont fall out.

I'm going to spray the front with a bland colour (black or gray) so it's not so white and obvious until it's lit up. Tell me what you think as next I'm going to create some snowflakes and a tree.

[edit]
well I just found this thread. Pays to research before you start! I'll definitely try some of these ideas.

Last edited:

Lachi3

New elf
Hi all,

This is my first home-made design--a dove. Would like your thoughts.

So far I have had some trouble drilling through the corflute because it is so messy. As you can see there's a lot of blowout that is very time consuming to cut away. I thought that a giant hole punch would be better than a drill, any suggestions?

I've found an 11mm bit is a perfect size to hold the pixels. The fit really snug and wont fall out.

I'm going to spray the front with a bland colour (black or gray) so it's not so white and obvious until it's lit up. Tell me what you think as next I'm going to create some snowflakes and a tree.

[edit]
well I just found this thread. Pays to research before you start! I'll definitely try some of these ideas.

Look's Great,
I reckon the snowflakes would look alright too

Iain

Full time elf
Here's some of the snowflakes (sorry about the poor quality, phone is struggling):

And the tree:

Kotche

Apprentice elf
You seem to have more success than I did with a drill bit; my attempts really mangled the corflute. I eventually went with a 12mm holesaw instead; it gave me a cleaner finish, especially toward the edges of the corflute.

Iain

Full time elf
I ended up using a soldering iron as mentioned elsewhere here, for the cleanest & quickest results… with plenty of ventilation of course, I had a shop fan blowing sideways to take away the smoke.