First pixel comes on right away

chris19681986

Apprentice elf
Make this as short as I can

First pixel on each tower comes on when PSU is turned on. OR I should say as soon as the control card powers up.
Each tower is 100 pixels
Each tower is on a separate port
Testing feature in fpp works but first pixel stays on when I turn testing off
I have turned voltage down
I have changed PSs
Changed wire going from PS to card.
Changed wire going from both ports to both towers.
K4pb 5 volt pixels
Do not know what else I can do.

Attachments

• 20210124_164443.jpg
    20210124_164443.jpg
    403.7 KB · Views: 12

i13

Dedicated elf
It does seem weird that this is so consistent but the first few pixels can sometimes come on when everything is first powered on and there's no data being sent. I'm thinking what you're seeing might be a non-issue. If the pixels behave correctly when they get test data then they should behave correctly when they get sequence data.

vk3heg

Full time elf
I have a pixel in my setup that comes on and is blue, even when no data is being sent. Once the sequence or data is sent it behaves correctly.

chris19681986

Apprentice elf
I have a pixel in my setup that comes on and is blue, even when no data is being sent. Once the sequence or data is sent it behaves correctly.
Mine stays even after running a small wave sequence or test sequence. During both it's not the right color

chris19681986

Apprentice elf
It does seem weird that this is so consistent but the first few pixels can sometimes come on when everything is first powered on and there's no data being sent. I'm thinking what you're seeing might be a non-issue. If the pixels behave correctly when they get test data then they should behave correctly when they get sequence data.
QUOTE]
Mine stays even after running a small wave sequence or test sequence. During both it's not the right color

algerdes

Al Gerdes
Something to think about:
When a pixel stays on with any color (usually blue in my experience) and everything after it works, then it is more than likely that one pixel needs to be replaced.
When you have good pixels up to a point, and everything after that point does not respond correctly, it is one of three things.
1) Your Setup, or
2) the first bad pixel, or
3) the last good pixel that is the problem.
Before going out and slicing and dicing the string, check your setup to make sure you have enough pixels assigned. Also check to see if your sequencer and controller are set the same. (Usually the infamous 510/512 mismatch.) Temporarily use a different string to test. If they also have a problem at that point, then it is definitely the setup.

If your setup proves good, then it is a pixel. If you have the time, cut the line between the last good and first bad and add a test set of pixels onto the last good. If they work properly, then you know it is the first bad. If they don't work properly, then you know it is the last good one that is actually bad. If you don't have time to do this test, then replace the last good and first bad at the same time. (This "replace two" is a normal for folks these days.) I still carry a set of pixels with alligator clips on them for doing this test. Most don't.

Reactions: BRW

chris19681986

Apprentice elf
Something to think about:
When a pixel stays on with any color (usually blue in my experience) and everything after it works, then it is more than likely that one pixel needs to be replaced.
When you have good pixels up to a point, and everything after that point does not respond correctly, it is one of three things.
1) Your Setup, or
2) the first bad pixel, or
3) the last good pixel that is the problem.
Before going out and slicing and dicing the string, check your setup to make sure you have enough pixels assigned. Also check to see if your sequencer and controller are set the same. (Usually the infamous 510/512 mismatch.) Temporarily use a different string to test. If they also have a problem at that point, then it is definitely the setup.

If your setup proves good, then it is a pixel. If you have the time, cut the line between the last good and first bad and add a test set of pixels onto the last good. If they work properly, then you know it is the first bad. If they don't work properly, then you know it is the last good one that is actually bad. If you don't have time to do this test, then replace the last good and first bad at the same time. (This "replace two" is a normal for folks these days.) I still carry a set of pixels with alligator clips on them for doing this test. Most don't.
Problem solved. Put in my backup sd card and all is well. Must have changed something I shouldn't have in fpp. Thanks

chris19681986

Apprentice elf
If I understand correctly, the pixels that stay on do not test on the correct colors, is that right? What controller are you using?
Problem solved. I put in my backup sd card. I must have changed some setting in fpp that screwed things up. Thank you. Btw. I have a k4-pb and a k16 a-b