First Pixel Order

Albrador

New elf
So finally after years of admiration for sequenced lights and about 12 years of doing plug and play. I, like many others before me, am taking the plunge this year. Ive watched, read and watched and read some more and I'm learning more than I ever could have imagined. Ive ordered my falcon (thanks Daryl for all your hard work with the bulk buy ;) this year), have a couple of Meanwell PSU's and a few more on the way :) Now to actually buy the pixels.

Now I know there is a debate on 12v vs 5v and Ive decided on 12v. Ive been onto Ali express and found what I think Im looking for, but Im really hoping someone might be able to give me the tick of approval for the ones Ive chosen or steer me in the right direction for the ones I should be purchasing.

Also, it seems that dealing with Ray directly these days has its pro's and con's given how much the blinky community invests in him. Is it truly as simple as finding what you want in his store and sending the product/model number in an email. Is his email still ray@rita-light.com or has this changed? Hoping to save a few dollars on postage :)

So these are what Im looking at and
100nodes bullet regulated DC12V addressable 12mm WS2811 led pixel string;all BLACK 18AWG)wire,IP68;with 0.2m 13.5mm pigtail

Im looking to purchase around 3000 (omg who would have thought postage would be so expensive). My only modification to this would be an xConnect pigtails which I plan on specifying in my email.

So am I on the right track?

JulianLights

Apprentice elf
Hi Albrador
Yes that email is still correct, I used it only this week to ask for a quote. And yes it is that simple, you can also send him links to the products you want. You generally do save a bit on postage and if you keep the order under $1000 (someone correct me if I’m wrong) you don’t have to pay the import duty tax. If you order directly through Aliexpress you pay the tax regardless of the amount. I’ve had no issues with any of my orders from Ray, quality seems good and postage was quick (although keep in mind that was before COVID).
The only comment I would make on your order is that Ray does already stock pixels with the xconnect pigtails although having had a look on his site and I couldn’t see any others that specifically mentioned the 12v ‘regulated’ pixels. However, from what I’ve heard if you ask Ray he can make them to order at any length and can connect the xconnect if you request it.
Good luck with it all, this is my first year as well and I can tell you it has already been a steep learning curve for me but everyone on here has been super helpful!

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
All sounds good.
Break up your order to save import duties and specify every parameter in the email.
Include a link to the aliexpress listing for better clarity.
He will certainly be able to attach xConnect pigtails at your request.

Down the never ending money pit of Christmas lighting!

Edit: As to 'mention every parameter'; Make sure to specify each little detail. I've just been pointed out that the listing says 18AWG but the pictures say 20AWG.

Albrador

New elf
All sounds good.
Break up your order to save import duties and specify every parameter in the email.
Include a link to the aliexpress listing for better clarity.
He will certainly be able to attach xConnect pigtails at your request.

Down the never ending money pit of Christmas lighting!

Edit: As to 'mention every parameter'; Make sure to specify each little detail. I've just been pointed out that the listing says 18AWG but the pictures say 20AWG.

Yeah Mark I noticed on one of his listings that it said it was 18awg and then in the description it had 20awg. Made me a little more cautious. Is the import tax dependent on weight or price of the order as Julian mentioned. Also when you say specify each little detail, I plan to list type of IP, ‘regulated’, voltage, awg size, how many pixels per string, spacing and pigtail type. Anything else that I’m missing which is important?

Eizziljam

I’m Christmas crazy!
I put my very first order in the other day. I sent both Ray Wu and Paul Zhang my order for quotes and Paul beat Ray’s prices.
I found a few forum posts on here saying Paul was great, high quality and quick to respond!

I also discussed ensuring he declared the cost of the lights excluding the shipping on the parcel as on the website it says duties paid on “goods” over $1000AUD and shipping is a service not a good.

bpratt

Senior elf
As mentioned, keep the total value of your order including shipping, well below $AUD1,000 , otherwise you'll end up definately paying GST on it.

Remember the US Dollar to Aussie Peso exchange rates at the time, as that can push you over.

darylc

404 darylc not found
I also discussed ensuring he declared the cost of the lights excluding the shipping on the parcel as on the website it says duties paid on “goods” over $1000AUD and shipping is a service not a good.

Good luck with that.

Albrador

New elf
I put my very first order in the other day. I sent both Ray Wu and Paul Zhang my order for quotes and Paul beat Ray’s prices.
I found a few forum posts on here saying Paul was great, high quality and quick to respond!

Eizziljam, I’ve read a few posts with people being stung hard by customs not having the shipping stipulated on the packaging. From what I’ve read if it hasn’t been correctly written, customs will come up with their own price on what shipping costs and then you pay customs to have the good released.
I may have misinterpreted the posts but I will definitely be getting Ray to clearly document value of postage just to avoid any issues. Might be something to look into

Albrador

New elf
Okay well I can’t complain about the speed at which Ray replies. I had a response for my order in around an hour. Order is $8 AUD more than AliExpress but that’s also with the xConnect pigtails.

Spudda

New elf
I too requested quotes from Paul and Ray recently but found that the shipping costs from Ray had a huge variance and was higher so I went with Paul.

We will see the order soon and look forward to starting the journey down the Christmas light rabbit hole

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Did you go back to Ray advising that you can get a cheaper shipping rate with another vendor? No harm in asking.

Albrador

New elf
Did you go back to Ray advising that you can get a cheaper shipping rate with another vendor? No harm in asking.
Hey Graham, Ray beat the shipping in AliExpress, it’s just his quote is in US dollars and PayPal have crappy exchange rates whereas AliExpress is in AUS dollars so currently it’s an $8 difference

Adam V

Apprentice elf
I just pulled the pin of my first pixel order 2400 pixels and found ray great to deal with. Emailed him the list and asked for the most economical shipping method and seemed reasonable.

Jarrad33

150k of Pixels for 2023
Eizziljam, I’ve read a few posts with people being stung hard by customs not having the shipping stipulated on the packaging. From what I’ve read if it hasn’t been correctly written, customs will come up with their own price on what shipping costs and then you pay customs to have the good released.
I may have misinterpreted the posts but I will definitely be getting Ray to clearly document value of postage just to avoid any issues. Might be something to look into

Yeah me for one. I tried to get heap over in one order and ray made invoice under 1k. But customs wanted proof of payment and the website I bought it from to check item for item.

Split of the order or it will cost you