First pixel tree creation

Miguel86

New elf
Hi:
This year i would like to create my first pixel tree. I'm totally new in this, i saw plenty of videos on youtube and read tutorials but as always you start something new you have plenty of questions. If everything works great in the future i will add more ligths to the garden, this year a pixel tree i think is enought (maeby too much for the first project).

The idea is to use the Falcon F16v3 controller. I'm in doubts of buying the ready to run or asseble myself, i think should be so much difficult to assemble.
At this moment my biggest question is the products to buy, my idea is:
1. 1 Falcon F16v3 pixel controller.
2. 2 MeanWell Power Supply - 12v / 29 amps / 350 Watts
3. 1 Waterproof case.
4. 16 strings - DC12v 12mm WS2811 pixel IP68 with 100 pixel per string.
5. Plastic mounting strips for the strings.
6. I ready i would need for example a raspberri pi with falcon player installed.
Extra the pole, and the round top to attach all plastric strips.

My question right now is the amount of power supply needed as after reading the PDF of falcon F16v3 documentation i read:
"The F16v3 supports a maximum of 1024 pixels per output port when no expansion board is used. When expansion boards are used, the 1024 pixels is shared between the F16v3 and the expansion boards connected to it. See Section 4.2.4.2 for how to set the maximum number of pixels per port per board.

Note that the power from the controller alone will likely be insufficient to control 1024 pixels and power injection will likely be necessary. The actual number of pixels that can be powered without power injection varies with a number of factors including distance between the control and the pixels, distance between pixels, intensity or brightness of the pixels, type of pixel, and voltage of the pixels. As a general rule of thumb, approximately 50 of most 5V pixels or 125 of most 12V pixels can be powered directly from the controller at full brightness without power injection."

From this i understand that each of the 16 outputs can manage up to 1024 pixels, I have 10pixels per string and each string will be connected to 1 output (in total 1600pixels). The problem is that will be possible to power only 125 (i suppose in total), so this mean that most of my strings won't be possible to get the power from the same power supply as the controller?

Can anybody help me, give me any tutorial that would explain how to calculate and mount the power injection?

Thanks in advance for you patience.

Cranzy

Full time elf
If you look at the specs for https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32599191945.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.12.36a86dc5AYSU4V
You can see that the max current is 66MA or 0.066A that is per pixel at full brightness on white. Full string of 100 pixels is then 0.066A * 100 = 6.6A per string of 100, at 100% brightness full white.
So generally most people run a megatree at 30% or so as that is bright enough. So at 30% a string of 100 on white will be 2A
16 strings will be 32A total and (12v * 32A = 384 Watts)

So 2 power supplies will be enough. The falcon boards you power from both sides (each with 1 of those supplies)
You said you will be using all 16 ports on the controller, meaning each post will only need 2A which is good as each port fuse is 5A.
You will not need any power injection at all.

Miguel86

New elf
Hi Cranzy:

Thanks for your fast reply. That sounds great,i also saw what you are saying about 2 input power of the falcon, what i didn't know where all the pixel usage, thats for that info.
I suppose that in case that i want more strips i would require the differential expansion board, and later 4 differential receivers, with that could be possible to have the 32 strings. In that case i would require 2 power supplies for the main board and the differential expansion board and later 1 power supply for each receiver, but this will be for next years.

Just to be curious in case i want more power because 30% is not enough can you provide any documentation or info about how to do the power injection?

Now i need to find a topper compatible with the plastic strips from ray wu and later i think i will be in the position to start to order everything!!

This thread is very old. An answer might not be needed anymore.