First Purchase Advice

Nick Fraser

New elf
I am about to start down the magical (crazy?) path towards CLAP and I would like some advice on my first purchase.

My initial ideas are:
  1. Buy a few things to explore with before diving right in
  2. Ensure what I buy can expand easily into a larger display
Here is what I am thinking:

From Ray Wu
2 x 5v Power Supplies
100 square RGB TLS3001 3 Wire
100 bullet RGB TLS3001 3 Wire

From PixelController.com
1 x F48 Differential Controller
4 x Differential Receiver Board

When should I order these from Ray?
What is the best way to order the Falcon boards

Thanks

Nick

Dez

Fueled by Christmas - Inspired by You!
I am in the same boat as you. I think best to order from Ray in the new year. I was looking at a Falcon board also but I have heard they don't ship to Australia. Can someone confirm this is correct?

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Nick/Dez you could start a Conversation with @darylc as he may have some Falcon boards for sale locally, as he often offers bulk buys in conjunction with D. Pitts at Falcon. If he has none locally or wont be getting any, then the alternative is direct from the US Falcon Controller site.

You can order any time from Ray. I suspect he may be getting a little quieter now, but there will also be newbies such as yourself wanting to dive right in too! Can I just say, don't rush in JUST yet. You are correct in that you want to buy equipment that can be easily expanded or incorporated into larger shows.
Pro Tip: Best bet is to send Ray an email listing SPECIFICALLY the items, qtys and lengths you require. He can also do custom lengths/spacing and even add the connectors for you for a small extra fee. Emailing him directly to get a quote including shipping is cheaper than ordering via his AliExpress store.

I'm not a pixel protocol expert so hopefully someone else can chime in, but why have you selected TLS3001 type pixels? The most common is WS281x (usually 2811) but there are other protocols for a reason, I'm just not sure what they are.

MD389

New elf
Were you specifically after TLS3001 nodes? I think the majority of us use WS2811 pixels which Ray actually sells cheaper.
Bullet Node
Square Nodes
Links above are for 12v not 5v nodes

If you are after Falcon gear its best to get in contact with @darylc on the forum.

Last edited:
This thread is very old. An answer might not be needed anymore.