First Time Long Time

r_sol

New elf
Hi,

I have been a member of this group for a few years. But this year is my first display with pixels and Xlights. I have been using Twinkly for a few years but realised it limitations and it was an expensive route. I live in western Sydney. I went to the Sydney Mini this year and the build party. Trying to get as much info and help before I jumped into it. Highly recommend these to anyone starting.

I have just completed my control boxes. I went with a the HE123 from Hanson Electronics. Seems like I’m getting weekly orders from Alan 👍.IMG_3838.jpegIMG_3839.jpegIMG_3780.jpeg

I have a bunch of Coro props that’s have been half build. The joys of pushing pixels. I have just completed the “Merry Christmas” it is about 4m wide and it will be mounted on the roof. I have built the frame out of conduit.
IMG_3834.jpegIMG_3835.jpeg
More to come….

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
I started reading the post and read that you keep ordering. My eyes flicked to your profile pic and realised that yes, yes you are ordering about every week at the moment. You definitely aren't the only 1.

Pavle

Rank updated… 2 season veteran
Hi,

I have been a member of this group for a few years. But this year is my first display with pixels and Xlights. I have been using Twinkly for a few years but realised it limitations and it was an expensive route. I live in western Sydney. I went to the Sydney Mini this year and the build party. Trying to get as much info and help before I jumped into it. Highly recommend these to anyone starting.

I have just completed my control boxes. I went with a the HE123 from Hanson Electronics. Seems like I’m getting weekly orders from Alan 👍.View attachment 24140View attachment 24141View attachment 24142

I have a bunch of Coro props that’s have been half build. The joys of pushing pixels. I have just completed the “Merry Christmas” it is about 4m wide and it will be mounted on the roof. I have built the frame out of conduit.
View attachment 24144View attachment 24143
More to come….
Nice work, you’re making great progress.

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Well done mate. You've made some awesome progress. Looking forward to coming out and taking a look.

Live the box builds, nice and tidy!

Alan certainly gets hit up with some orders... Which reminds me, what do I need next?

r_sol

New elf
Still haven’t worked out how I'm going to control the fans yet. Some sort of thermal switch.

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Still haven’t worked out how I'm going to control the fans yet. Some sort of thermal switch.
I have mine set to just run whenever the main pixel power PSUs are on. Didn't bother with any advanced control. Seemed to work alright, nothing blew up last year :D

Johnnyboy

Full time elf
Nice progress! Boxes look fantastic and love the positions of the power supplies.

I’m with Skymaster, keep the fan power simple. I just hooked them up directly to the power supply (providing your fans match your Ps voltage)

Pavle

Rank updated… 2 season veteran
Western Sydney or pretty much most places in Australia will be warm enough to warrant fans always on. Nothing wrong with having them switched, it’s just additional complexity (area for fault) that isn’t really going to deliver too much real world benefit.

perhaps if you plan to have them powered all day and night, you may have some justification. I turn my stuff on about 15 mins before showtime, I’ve only seen super hot temps at that time of the evening a handful of times since I’ve been doing pixels.

r_sol

New elf
You’re probably right. I will just run the fans full time when the lights are on. I put a smaller power supply in the main box so I could leave the controller on 24/7 while switching the pixel power supplies off when not in use.

I will sort of copy @Skymaster and contol the 240v via Dynalite.

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
That'll work perfectly then @r_sol , you don't have to worry about any heat sensors not performing as expected etc. If you're going down the Dynalite path with a separate feed for the controller then you're set.

r_sol

New elf
Almost done just hoping this rain will hold out in Sydney so I can finish the lights off on the roof.

Last-minute push to listen/tune to sign.

IMG_3963.jpeg

The button is just an input to the Dynalite system that controls a relay. Im using a powered speaker So, ran the 240v through the Dynalite relay set with a 15-minute timer.