First time pixel project

Madko

Full time elf
Hey guys,
I have been putting lights around our house at christmas now for over 5 years. I'm now planning for 2013 for my first automated display. What I want to achieve is a roof full of scattered pixels. Making it look light stars in the night sky.
From what I'm reading/learning is that running a E1.31 system to do this is the way to go? Getting a couple of pixel strings of 128 at 12v and running them off a pixel controller using maybe lightshow pro software.

My questions are:
Is this the easiest and best way for me to achieve this?
Can I run this with the basic version of lightshow pro?
Since the string is IP68 will this be ok to put in the elements of the rain weather etc?

I was thinking of going this route (e1.31) so later on I can easily add more pixel boards and expand etc etc.

At the moment I have a lot of LED rope lights and LED strings, rope mofits. I'm not sure if I want to automate all these as yet. I have these all set on a dedicated powered timed christmas circuit, purely for Christmas lights.

Any ideas or thoughts are greatly appreciated! Thanks guys and great website!

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Madko said:
My questions are:
Is this the easiest and best way for me to achieve this?
This would be the best way for you

Madko said:
Can I run this with the basic version of lightshow pro?

Depending on how many channels you want to run, the basic version is for 512 (1 universe) so if your below that then yes it will do and you can upgrade the the higher channel count at any time if needed.

Madko said:
Since the string is IP68 will this be ok to put in the elements of the rain weather etc?
The ip68 are the only type i would use as they are resin filled

Madko said:
I was thinking of going this route (e1.31) so later on I can easily add more pixel boards and expand etc etc.

This is a good plan for expansion

Madko

Full time elf
Thanks Ed! I was in chat yesterday but computer kept dropping me in and out of the chat room. Sorry about that and thanks for your advice that I did get!

Benslights

Dedicated elf
well i hope we can see you in chat again soon. i find it the best place to learn and also make some great friends