First timer ideas and tips

Pyjamas

New elf
Hi everyone,
I felt I wanted to do a post (my first one!) as this is my first year doing a display and using pixel lights. I thought it might be useful for any future newbies to know what I got to start out, things you need, and mistakes I made... I certainly has a steep learning curve but very rewarding.

So, being my first year I needed everything, this was my shopping list:

Hardware:
  • Falcon F16V3 (purchased direct)
  • Raspberry Pi and power supply (Amazon) plus 16Gb mini SD
  • Two meanwell 12V 350W power supplies (Ray Wu)
  • ABS case (or similar) for all the electronics (I got 300mm x 250mm x 120mm, this just fits everything) (ebay)
  • 12V Cooling fan (ebay)
  • 50m 3-pin 18AWG cable (Ray Wu)
  • 50m plastic pixel node strip (Ray Wu)
  • 3-core 50cm male/female pigtails (Ray Wu)
  • Two 500 continuous strand 12V pixels (Ray Wu)
  • 2x50W audio amplifier (AliExpress)
  • Full range car stereo wired speakers (AliExpress)
  • Perspex sheet and screws for mounting electronics (Bunnings)
The speakers and amplifier are more for Halloween stuff but also means you could play Christmas music to people passing by, I plan on getting an FM transmitter but it didn't fit the budget this year. Given it's my first year I'm likely to just be doing animation lights rather than putting it to music.

Tools:
  • Soldering iron kit
  • Helping hands
  • Heat shrink tubing
  • Wire strippers
My Tip - learn to solder, it is quick and cheap and allows so much freedom to change pixel strand lengths. There are many youtube videos to show you how. Also get good wire strippers, it makes the job faster and neater and for the small cost on amazon they are worth it.

Additional things I never knew I needed:
  • Pixel pliers
  • A piece of timber with 12mm holes drilled at 5cm spaces
I never knew pixel pliers existed, I wish I did. Pushing pixels through mounting strips is hard and laborious and takes a LONG time. Having the timber allows you to line up the strip holes and punch straight down through the strip and saves a lot of time. I didn't have pixel pliers which made pushing them through a horrendous job.

Things I never knew:
Pixel lights have a direction for data flow! - there are little arrows on the pixels which show the direction so when cutting and joining strings, check the direction matches. I was not aware of this, there is a lot about power injection and that power is not directional but the pixel lights are.

Other tips:
Watch lots of youtube videos, here are some of the ones I used:

Read the AusChristmasLighting 101 Manual
Read lots of threads on here to help

I have to say playing with the pixel lights and setting up sequences is such a fulfilling hobby. To all the people that have posted amazing displays, I am in awe and hope to get to even half the quality of what you all produce.

Here is a picture of my power box, and a video of my first setup (just something for the AFL Grand Final - GO DOGGIES!)

IMG_7720.jpg

vk3heg

Full time elf
You might want to use cable glands on the control box. They serve to stop two things: 1: Bugs getting in. 2: Water getting in. and 3rd: Cables being pulled out of sockets. 🤬

Dez

Fueled by Christmas - Inspired by You!
I love solder shrink tubes as well. Save time and work great

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Great post and great job, first year i have no doubt intimidating. I remember floundering around getting started with computer control.

I would look a bigger cabling from the PSU units, even dual runs.

Cheers
Phil

BAZMick

Full time elf
Generous elf
Just out of interest, what do you think you invested for Year 1?
First year I "budgeted" for $2k but in the end I'd say it was closer to $3k 😂
Didn't allow enough cable, plugs and heat shrink. Whatever you think you need, double it and add 50%

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
I followed the advice of the more experienced users here and started without a budget. Just kept tossing money around until it ran out, then I took the kids college funds. I'm sure they'll never notice it is gone when they are off to college next year. :D

All things considered my budget ended up being around 3k.

Dean

Wayne1

Apprentice elf
Your post was one of the first I read. It helped a lot , thanks..... that and watching Keith's video's.

Solder tubes and the pixels pliers.....who knew lol